The Guardian | Teen Ink

The Guardian MAG

By Anonymous

     Countless times at the library, I asked my friend what I should read. Her response was always, “Read The Guardian! It is the best book ever!” However, it was always checked out, and I ended up reading another book. The first day of high school, though, I went straight to the section in the library with books by Nicholas Sparks and checked out The Guardian. Although I have not yet finished it, I realize that my friend was right - it is a fantastic novel.

The story takes place in a close-knit rural North Carolina community. Julie’s husband has died; he leaves her a dog she names Singer who is supposed to guard her.

When her husband is gone for five years, she begins to date. Ironically, she is drawn to her husband’s best friend, Mike. But another problem arises - a stalker. She begins to realize that her ex-boyfriend is watching her. Singer and Mike help her manage. Mike is a beer-loving mechanic who wants Julie to be a part of his life; Julie feels the same way.

Why did I enjoy The Guardian? The balance of a love story and the terrifying events surrounding Julie’s stalker kept me interested instead of drooling over a gushy romance novel. The novel includes romance but has suspense too. So when you’re wandering through the library in search of a good book, consider Nicholas Sparks’ The Guardian!