Side Effects | Teen Ink

Side Effects MAG

This is the story of a teenage girl and her battle with cancer. However, it is not the typical depressing cancer story where the main character dies at the end, leaving a heartbroken family. Instead, it is a tale narrated by a girl who simply refuses to give up.

Izzy's battle with cancer is strikingly chronicled throughout the book. A normal, healthy teenager, Izzy discovers she has lymphoma.

Now, instead of spending her days in school, she passes most of her time in the hospital, getting shots, undergoing chemo, and puking. Her mom breaks down 24/7, and her friends treat her as if she is a fragile package that will break at any moment. Her brother doesn't really understand what is happening, and her dad lives in a daze. Izzy, however, keeps her humor and sassy attitude in spite of all the turmoil and pain. Unlike those around her, she remains determined to beat the cancer, even though sometimes she feels as if she might be better off dead.

This well-written book is very enjoyable. Amy Goldman Koss doesn't blunt the pain of having cancer, which makes the book realistic, intense, and emotional. Izzy's wit and sharp tongue keep it lively and entertaining as readers feel her every emotion. Best of all, it is a story of survival and triumph. Perhaps the only downside is the abrupt ending, but readers will still be satisfied.

Side Effects is for teenagers and older readers. If you enjoy a realistic story of survival, you will be sure to like this tale of one girl's “descent into hell and safe return.”

i love this !

iluvtoread94 said...
on Dec. 26 2011 at 3:17 am
i loved this book so much that i wanna read it again! Does anyone know if it is avalible as an E-Book?

on Sep. 5 2011 at 5:13 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

This review just made the book interesting though I hope you didn't say that hte ending was that she didn't die... Good review!

xXx_Fox_xXx BRONZE, Conbe, Iowa

"Where a rose is, a thistle can not grow" ~The Secret Garden
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Ghandi
"Every road leads somewhere, its just a matter of where you want to go..." ~???

Can I use this review for my school newpaper?

ullgirls said...
on Dec. 9 2010 at 7:41 am

Great but tragic!

Some parts were funny, some were sad...so glad Izzy is still alive!

We loved this book!  Our whole class read it.  Enjoyable but sometimes sad.

One of the best books we have read!

girls205 said...
on Dec. 9 2010 at 7:37 am
We found this book very entertaining.  It was a happy by melancholy book.  We really like this book.

This is a VERY great book! I loved it, but she never dies at the end, this is a very great book, and i would give it a thumbs up!!(:

This is one of my favorite books and i hope ya'll like it!!!