A Tree Grew in Brooklyn This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Readers constantly categorize books as they read them. Maybe the novel is depressing, or complex, or shocking, or humorous. However, I am confident that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn will be difficult to place in any one of these categories. It is a story of both love and hatred, failure and success, solitude and togetherness, and is both bitter and sweet.

Frances Nolan, known as Francie, is an outsider growing up in the slums of Brooklyn during the early 1900s. With her hardworking mother who cleans houses, and her talented but alcoholic father trying to make a living, Francie’s family is not the most respected in the neighborhood. However, though they live a hard life, Francie, being strong, learns to persevere through constant hardships. She often uses reading as her sweet escape, as well as the companionship of her lovable brother, Neeley.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn caught my attention because each character is realistic and interesting. The novel bursts with creativeness, and left me with mixed feelings - both happy and sad. It is a timeless novel, and one I absolutely recommend.