The Freedom Writer's Diary by The Freedom Writers and Erin Gruwell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The commercial for this movie looked depressing but motivating – about a teacher and her students who became a family. When it came out on DVD, I rented it. I knew it would be a tearjerker, but nothing could have prepared me for all the crying I did, ­except, of course, reading the book.

During the movie, I cried tears of sadness at the beginning and tears of joy at the end. Afterward, I was motivated to read the book, which I knew would be moving too. It was even more inspiring than I imagined because of the stories of 150 teens and their teacher, Erin Gruwell.

The Freedom Writers Diary depicts teens' feelings and struggles. It took me a while to read because it was so ­emotional, and because of that, I felt connected to the Freedom Writers – even though I wouldn't dare compare my problems with theirs. They are my heroes trying to change the world. I didn't want their stories to end.

When I finished the book, I watched the movie again. I cried less but it still stings. My favorite part of the book was the poetry about discrimination and being proud of who you are, no matter your race, size, or occupation.

GuthrieMargret29 said...
Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:58 am:
Some time before, I needed to buy a car for my organization but I didn't have enough money and couldn't purchase anything. Thank goodness my dude adviced to try to get the mortgage loans from trustworthy bank. Thus, I did so and was satisfied with my secured loan.

shywriter said...
Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:50 am:
When i saw this movie, I cried my tears out. As a Muslim , I know that racial discrimination is really common and I was really proud when I saw this movie, because if these students could put aside their differences then who can't?

Nicki A. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2009 at 8:14 pm:
I know i hate that they left so much out of the movie.

SaraB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2009 at 7:21 pm:
My class watched the movie on the last day of school, so i checked the book out this summer and loved it. They left so much out of the movie though, which annoyed me. Phenominal story, I think they are amazing.