The Freedom Writer's Diary by The Freedom Writers and Erin Gruwell | Teen Ink

The Freedom Writer's Diary by The Freedom Writers and Erin Gruwell MAG

June 24, 2009
By nickihippie BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
nickihippie BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

The commercial for this movie looked depressing but motivating – about a teacher and her students who became a family. When it came out on DVD, I rented it. I knew it would be a tearjerker, but nothing could have prepared me for all the crying I did, ­except, of course, reading the book.

During the movie, I cried tears of sadness at the beginning and tears of joy at the end. Afterward, I was motivated to read the book, which I knew would be moving too. It was even more inspiring than I imagined because of the stories of 150 teens and their teacher, Erin Gruwell.

The Freedom Writers Diary depicts teens' feelings and struggles. It took me a while to read because it was so ­emotional, and because of that, I felt connected to the Freedom Writers – even though I wouldn't dare compare my problems with theirs. They are my heroes trying to change the world. I didn't want their stories to end.

When I finished the book, I watched the movie again. I cried less but it still stings. My favorite part of the book was the poetry about discrimination and being proud of who you are, no matter your race, size, or occupation.


The author's comments:
I was so inspired by the Freedom Writer's that I knew I should help spread their messages around. To learn more about the Freedom Writers be sure to check out their website:
www.freedomwritersfoundation.org