To All The Boys I've Loved Before | Teen Ink

To All The Boys I've Loved Before

By miranda-m BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
miranda-m BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Is fake dating a good idea to throw someone's crush off track? Well, Lara Jean Covey thought it was. As a junior in high school, Lara Jean was prepared to start the new school year by getting good grades and having fun with her sisters. Little did she know, lots of drama was heading her way. It all started with love letters to five boys, numerous years ago, that were mysteriously sent out. The book To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is one of my favorite books that I would highly recommend reading. Jenny Han’s writing will surely keep the reader entertained with this sweet high school romance. Therefore, I think this is a great book because of the characters, its ability to be so addicting, and its interesting plot. 

Beginning with the characters. Every big sister has an annoying little sister (I know I do), and in this book, Kitty is that sister. Jenny Han has done an exquisite job of creating this character. The reader will fall in love with Kitty with her sassy remarks and her “taste testing” abilities to Lara Jean's baking. Another character is Geniveve, the classic mean girl and ex-best friend. She has a lot of background with the main character Lara Jean and it is all shown with emotion in the writing between the girls. The last and final main character is Peter. This delightful and caring lacrosse player is officially the best fake boyfriend ever. Almost everyone is guaranteed to fall in love with this character because of his sweet gestures and kind words to Lara Jean. Peter is a well-rounded character and very thoroughly developed, which plays a big role in why I couldn’t put this book down. 

Furthermore, this book is very addicting. Jenny Han’s writing style takes readers along as if they were with Lara Jean and felt all of her feelings or shared her experiences with her.  The book kept moving and there was a new surprise on each page, keeping the reader interested while enjoying Lara Jean and her friends' adventures. Personally, I read this book in two days and finished the sequels just days after that, because I was so emoursed in the reading it was agonizing to put down. Han truly has a way with words and connects with her characters as she writes, as well as making her teenage romance novels fun and relatable. But this wouldn’t be possible without a good plot to keep the story accelerating. 

Finally, in this book, there is never a dull moment when it comes to Lara Jean Covey. The introverted girl who just wants to focus on her studies is thrown into a whirlwind of social status and rumors. In this story, there are many plot twists—some that are expected and others that are very unexpected or unwanted. Lara Jean's actions at the beginning of the book set the plot into motion to grab the reader's attention. This story is a roller coaster of emotions and it takes readers along for the ride. Nothing is boring when it comes to Lara Jean’s boy drama. The dialogue also plays a key role in the plot rather than just actions, yet some of the sweet gestures in this book will make the reader's heart melt. 

In conclusion, this is a great book and one of my favorites. It is a book that is appropriate for a more mature audience, I recommend it to anyone thirteen and up. But overall if anyone is into sweet high school romances this would be a great book to add to some reading lists. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is a great book because of the characters, how addicting the book is,and the plot, deserves to be on a teenage girl's radar to read next. As I’ve stated before, there's never a dull moment with Lara Jean. This book is a hurricane of surprises and teenage romance that brings readers into the magnificent life of Lara Jean Covey. Now that the basic idea of the book is explained there is still one question left unanswered; Is fake dating a good idea? 

on Mar. 11 at 12:29 pm
avery2027 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Amazing!