The Summer I Turned Pretty Review | Teen Ink

The Summer I Turned Pretty Review

By liviatennessen5 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
liviatennessen5 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“The ocean is everything I want to be, beautiful, mysterious, wild, and free.” Belly has always been insecure about herself and thinks she doesn't fall into the popular category. She wants people to see her as her age because everyone treats her as a little girl. From the start to the end of the summer she starts to be more of an outgoing person and grows up to be more mature. Her Best friend Talyor is the total opposite of Belly, but will always look out for Belly and help her when she needs it. 

This book has so many weird twists and turns. You will never see what happens next. This book takes place in a summer house where Belly and her family go every summer each year. The summer house is right next to the ocean. This is a very nice house with a bunch of stories and a pool, it packs a lot of memories that Belly loves and never forgets. Belly enjoys the house very much and doesn't ever want it to go away because it is a tradition for them to go every year, even though that might come to an end.

Belly is more of a shy kind of girl, and sometimes she feels insecure about what she looks like. She has had a crush on this one guy since she was little, but he never seems to like her back. This year she started to change her look so he could maybe see her, but still no luck. This guy is named Conrad and he kinda gets more depressed as the book goes on. Conrad doesn't care about others and only cares about himself. As you keep reading the book you can see why Conrad has been depressed and why he never cares about anything. 

Belly’s feelings keep changing back and forth between boys, and she can never pick someone for herself. If you keep reading until the end you can see she finally picks a boy, but doesn't know if she should still go for Conrad. Belly is very indecisive. Once you get to the end, a big twist comes that you will never see coming.  It makes Belly sad and so she then doesn't know what to do. 

The story is about Belly’s love life and the friendships she has with her best friend and boys from the summer house. She is dealing with complicated Conrad and Jeremiah situations, so she has a hard time picking who she wants. When Belly chooses a man, her best friend also chooses a man, one that you will never expect. This book helped me with my own life, and you can learn a lesson from it about having a good friendship with your friends and your closest people because you never know when someone you love will be gone.  The author published this story to show us about growing up and the challenges it has.

This is talking about a book that I really like and helps me deal with relationships in my life.