Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone By J.K. Rowling | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone By J.K. Rowling

By 27jw02 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
27jw02 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

During fourth grade, my teacher had a majority of Harry Potter objects lying around the classroom. Including a whole set of Harry Potter books. Before I started reading Harry Potter, I heard things about it from my teacher. One is Harry’s and my friend's group. She sees the similarities between my friends and Harry’s. This got my interest in reading the book, but the immense size of the book had scared the fourth-grade me. Merely, my teacher said “Once you start reading Harry Potter, the book size won't bother you. It is such a good book to read that you will just keep on reading, and soon enough you will finish the whole series.” With her words, I read and finished it, which became an accomplishment for me in fourth grade. I finished the whole series sooner than I thought. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is my favorite out of all seven Harry Potter. The main characters, the plots, and the cliffhangers are some amazing elements of the book.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione are the three main characters in the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. I loved how Rowling grouped them. Each of their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses balances out the friendship. It is the ideal trio friend group. Each has a role to play. Hermione is the group's prodigious intellect. She makes sure Ron and Harry stay on task and out of trouble most of the time. People who read Harry Potter or watched the movies would say that Hermione is nosy, but she is the one who holds the boys accountable. She is usually the one who puts the puzzle pieces together for mysteries. Ron is a bit contradictory with Hermione. He has more humor than prodigious intellect. As for Harry, he leads the groups. To begin with, he is the one who brought the group together. Harry leads the group into mysteries, troubles, and adventures. He is a leader of good and bad. The golden trio is widely talked about, along with the fast-paced plot of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. 

The plot is fast-paced despite the size of the book. The amount of actions in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone makes it a rapid read. The actions form excitement and surprise at each event. J.K. Rowling, the author of Harry Potter, wrote the rapid pace of the action so well along with smooth transitions. Every action and event in the book moves quickly but is connected. In chapter five, Harry gets a wand, visits Gringotts, and meets Malfoy. This part of the book gives a lot of description but is quick to understand. The connection between points is easily understood. The storylines are easy to follow and lively to go through. Rowling’s smooth transitions between events create a satisfying flow through the book. The actions and the smooth transitions along with the thrilling storylines got me through the book in no time. The fast-paced action and smooth transitions are not the only things that got me through the book. But also, the mind-boggling cliffhangers in the book.

Cliffhangers in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone are the key elements for grabbing readers’ interest, especially at the end of the chapters. The cliffhangers make me think of nothing but the book. It got me thinking of all the possible turns, actions, and events following the cliffhangers. Like the last two sentences from the end of chapter three, “The whole shack shivered and Harry sat bolt upright, staring at the door. Someone was outside, knocking to come in.” Those two sentences end in chapter three. As for the questions that readers might form, it will start to make sense in the next few chapters. Though there are cliffhangers at the end of the chapters, it’s not annoying or confusing. Instead, they give more pieces to fit together. This makes the story rousing. The cliffhanger brings me into the stories along with the adventures of the characters. Cliffhangers in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone make the book go fast, attention-catching, and exciting.

The three main characters: Harry, Ron, and Hermione, the plots, and the cliffhangers make Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone action-packed and full of excitement that brings the reader along the adventures of the characters. J.K. Rowling’s work of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a good, expeditious read. It will grab the attention of the readers. The book will make readers lose time. It has given me an adventurous journey. J.K. Rowling has grabbed all my attention with the book, it is a good book to try out. I have to thank my fourth-grade teacher for telling me to pick up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. If it wasn’t for my teacher, I wouldn’t have been able to know about this adventurous series. When readers are out of books to read, try Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It might bring in a unique adventure.