How to Navigate Choices in a Materialistic Society | Teen Ink

How to Navigate Choices in a Materialistic Society

By IrisZhang1234 BRONZE, Beijing, Other
IrisZhang1234 BRONZE, Beijing, Other

The exploration of human nature and values has always been a significant theme in literary works. Whether in ancient poetry and prose or in modern novels, the dilemma of navigating choices in a materialistic society remains a thought-provoking presence. The decision to go with the flow or to choose a path of solitude in a society driven by material desires is a complex struggle, and its impact on the fate of individuals cannot be ignored.

In the case of “The Eternal Snow Beauty,” the author incorporates numerous psychological descriptions for characters beyond Xueyan Yin. These portrayals make the transient figures in Xueyan Yin's life more vivid. Through these characters, we witness their escapism in the present and nostalgia. In a society dominated by materialism, they choose to numb themselves within desires, lingering in the past, seeking self-identity and affirmation.

However, the protagonist, Xueyan Yin, lacks psychological descriptions in the character development. She appears almost like an emotionless machine, coldly observing everything, enticing people to indulge without leaving any subjective consciousness. Descriptions like “She will never age” and “Xueyan Yin will always be Xueyan Yin” seem more like the author's objective portrayal of the character, yet it also imbues Xueyan Yin with a divine aura. Her mansion remains imposing, her life consistently extravagant, attracting those unable to find self-identity in the present to repeatedly succumb.

Such depictions distance Xueyan Yin from the world of rampant materialism, turning her into a constituent of desire. Consequently, Xueyan Yin appears to symbolize the ephemeral splendor of a bygone era. People sink into the illusion of material desires, merely searching for a sense of superiority and identity in time."

In fact, in the book "Taipei People," there are numerous individuals who, much like passing figures in Xueyan Yin's life, choose to linger in the past amidst the rampant materialism of society. They opt to seek a sense of self-identity, pursuing the fleeting beauty of a bygone era. Such choices undoubtedly afford them a transient sense of superiority but come at the cost of relinquishing the courage to live in the present moment. In these decisions, the author adeptly employs clever historical and contemporary comparisons to illuminate the reasons behind their choices and the past they have chosen.

In “The Blood-Red Azaleas,” Xiong Wang consistently seeks his past through Li Er. In his bygone days, he enjoyed a beautiful family and the company of his chubby little sister. Now, residing in a foreign land, he struggles to find a sense of identity. Li Er becomes his anchor to the past. However, as Li Er distances himself, Xiong Wang eventually reaches the endpoint of his life.

In "New Year’s Eve," a similar theme is explored. Mingsheng Lai, a figure of legend in the past, held a unique status as a central figure and a peerless hero in society. However, upon arriving in Taipei, he loses the glory of yesteryears and becomes an ordinary figure on the social periphery. On New Year’s Eve, as he reminisces about the past, his recollections are met with mere perfunctory responses. It becomes evident that in a society dominated by materialism, he is unable to progress forward. Instead, he chooses to cling to the bygone glorious years, seeking the shattered sense of superiority that was once his.

Whether it's Xiong Wang, Mingsheng Lai, or any other characters in the book, they all appear to Xueyan Yin as those who follow in the footsteps of others. In a society engulfed by materialism, people continuously strive to prove their superiority through the pursuit of material desires. However, once this idealized state fades away, they find themselves standing still, constantly looking back. Consequently, they become disconnected from society and gradually fade away.

In this society, there are myriad things we pursue, yet at the core lies the necessity of discerning choices. How to select in a way that realizes one's true worth, and how to make decisions that steer clear of personal decline and destruction, are themes explored in literary works. These are also essential skills we must acquire in our journey of life and growth.

Book Review of “Taipei People”, the author of this book is Xianyong Bai.