MURDERVILLE | Teen Ink

MURDERVILLE

A story filled with strong emotions that is shown in every single page. Two kids coming from different sides of life. Ones taught to play the predator and the other is innocently playing prey. The interesting thing about this book is that its filled so much detail that you can imagine every character and every setting.

Murderville is a crime centered book about a boy who goes by the name of Ashai who grew up in a terrorist group that would terrorize villages across Sierra Leone. These terrorist groups would murder, torture, kidnap, and steal from these innocent people leaving them with nothing at all. In one of the villages lived a girl around Ashais age whos name is Liberty. While raiding Liberty’s villages they find each other while her family is lying there slaughtered. Aishai’s father being the man in charge of the group, orders Aishai to hurt Liberty, but he just couldn't bring himself to. There was something special about her. After a while of knowing each other they soon get trapped and forced into “the business”. Aishai being forced to work in the cocaine business and Liberty being sold into sex trafficking. Years without seeing each other go by and Aishai is a very powerful man now. He now hangs around man who saved him and gave him his role in the big business, he calls that man his father. Liberty though, is working in the streets of LA making barely enough to live.

This book can be heavy upon some people due to its detailed scenarios, but it shows the sad reality of how the world is behind the big business. Aishais character is always in the hustle and cares alot about how his money and product flows. If something goes wrong hes out trying to get them killed. Liberty on the other hand is barely getting straight with her money and is struggling everyday to make meets with her bosses. I like how the author switches back and forth between Aishai’s and Liberty’s life because you get a feel of Liberty’s struggle and a feel of Aishais success.

This is an amazing book because you can really feel the emotion jumping out from every page, it just makes you want to keep on reading. I recommend Murderville to teens and adults that find the topic of organized crime interesting. This book will really have you on the edge of your seat.