Carrie Soto is Back | Teen Ink

Carrie Soto is Back

By annietang BRONZE, Farmington, Connecticut
annietang BRONZE, Farmington, Connecticut

Carrie Soto once again returns in this compelling novel, chronicling the reviewing journey of a young tennis player navigating the challenging world of tennis. With her determination and relentless determination to conquer the rankings, she is aptly nicknamed the “Battle Axe” by her peers and the world. Her cold yet commanding demeanor not only sets her apart from other tennis players but also propels her to the top of the rankings. 

Starting her journey with unwavering dedication, Carrie Soto created her path through relentless hard work and countless drills all day with her father. Her efforts paid off as she accumulated titles and grand slam victories, bringing her the title of the “greatest tennis player” of her era. Nevertheless, every peak comes with its descent, and in the later years of her career, she found herself being limited by her injuries. Ultimately she faced an inevitable toll on her physical state and decided to retire from her tennis career. 

During her retirement years she never stopped paying attention to the tennis updates and played casually in her free time. She came to a realization that tennis was something she wanted to be defined by, something that dictated her life. It was something where she found happiness in, striking and winning in every tournament and competition she participated in, the feeling of beating her opponent in straight sets was something that she wanted to surround herself in, something she can never lose. After periods of long lingering and recovery, she decides to once again return to her tennis career with a comparatively elderly age. 

When Carrie Soto stepped into the tennis world once again, her journey was marked by stress and disappointment. Witnessing a wave of talented young players enter, she felt threatened and frustrated, believing that true happiness means defeating every single opponent in the world. However, her retired body limited her abilities against these emerging talents, leading to many losses and public criticism, an experience she had never experienced before. 

As the journey unfolded, Carrie gradually embraced the concept of losing and accepting that being the best player in the world was no longer something that she had to achieve. Instead of dwelling on match results, Carrie focused on learning to acknowledge that better players will always emerge each year and also focused on her normal life outside of tennis. Her era of championship and victory had been brought to an end, but she knows that the world will never forget her great achievements as the once undisputed best women’s tennis player. 

In Taylor Jenkins Reid’s book, we are taken through Carrie Soto’s journey, a narrative family to many athletes. Injuries and setbacks are inevitable in the athletic path, whether temporary or permanent. The crucial aspect lies in how individuals deal with these challenges. We witness the development of Soto’s mindset as it evolves throughout the story, emphasizing the importance of enjoying the sport while playing, even if being the best is no longer attainable. 

As an athlete myself, this book resonated with me, offering a valuable message that winning, while significant, isn’t the sole purpose of sports. This book is a compelling read for teenagers, as the book’s message extends beyond the sports world into life itself. Setbacks and losses don’t diminish your achievements, instead, they contribute to your growth motivating you to improve and overcome obstacles.

The reason why I wrote this article is because throughout the book I found myself relating to Carrie Soto, the main character of the book. Being an athlete, I can fully understand the experiences she was going through in her life, someone who only found happiness in victories and wins rather than relaxing and enjoying the sport. Taylor Reid perfectly incorporated a perfect fiction story while presenting readers with many impactful messages directed not only at the sports world but also at life in general. Through her book, she imprints the message that happiness not only comes from accomplishing things but is found in the process of achieving in readers' minds, reminding us that the most important part of doing something is to fully enjoy it.