Hermione Granger - This Is Me | Teen Ink

Hermione Granger - This Is Me

January 12, 2024
By Rose731 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
Rose731 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Books! And cleverness! There are more important things - friendship and bravery."


The above quote summarises Hermione Granger’s character. From being a bossy nerd to a determined heroine who is not afraid to stand up against discrimination, Hermione is an inspiration to millions of young girls across the globe. She may be adamant about rules and homework at first, but as she grows and interacts with Harry and Ron, she gradually realises the importance of courage, loyalty, and determination. This is the quote that ultimately places Hermione in Gryffindor – her resilience and nerve wins over her hunger for knowledge.


First impressions of characters sometimes create misleading ideas of their inner values. Hermione, being a Muggle-born, enters the magical world of Hogwarts, excited for knowledge, and to make friends with those who challenge her own outstanding intellect. However, she soon comes to realise that she is a very different child, as children of her age do not often submerge themselves into homework with such enthusiasm. Hermione defensively raises her head high, and her lack of experience in socialising causes other children to stay away, yet she refuses to back down. Behind this thick layer of pure nerd and overconfidence, however, is a whirlpool of fears – with the fear of failure being the most prominent of all.


Hermione has no friends initially. She struggles with this, yet hides it, determined to store away her vulnerability. She focuses on her studies, determined to get the top scores in her exams and impress all her teachers and fellow classmates. When insults of “nerd” and “know-it-all” reach her ears, however, she breaks down. The realisation of having no friends and the increasing loneliness slams upon her in full measure.


This is when Harry and Ron show up, saving Hermione from the mountain troll. Hermione, for the first time in her life, takes her first step to becoming the brave woman she is now – she lies to a teacher. Although this may not seem much to most, it is a significant step for Hermione and she gradually faces the truth that studying is far from the most important thing in this world. She realises the importance of friendship, and as she spends time with Harry and Ron, she finally enjoys her life at Hogwarts. Hermione begins to use her intelligence to occasionally break rules, which starts small, then becomes gradually more poignant.


Her rule-following nature, though existent throughout the books, are undoubtedly lessened. She begins to learn the necessity to break rules, and understand when it should be done, and when it should be avoided. She helps to bring balance in the friend group, reprimanding Harry and Ron whenever their adventurousness goes out of hand. 


Hermione’s most obvious trait is definitely her intelligence. Brewing the Polyjuice potion not only tests Hermione’s bravery, it also tests her potion-making skills, which she absolutely excels at. She manages to concoct a highly advanced potion at the age of 13, proving her unnerving wit. In the same year, Hermione figures out the mystery of the Slytherin monster herself, with the help of several library books, through hints and clues. Moreover, out of all students at Hogwarts, only Hermione is cautious enough to notice the shocking truth about Lupin’s identity.


Hermione’s flaws are still evident, however, and these are the flaws that make her relatable to students who struggle in their coursework. Throughout her third year, she overly stresses herself, taking an immense amount of subjects, which she can manage only barely with the help of the time turner. She sleeps very little, puts too much pressure on herself, and spends all her time with her nose in books and homework. Thankfully, Harry and Ron are able to help her relax, and enjoy the world outside studying and academics.


Hermione is a very logic-driven person. This creates a sharp contrast with Harry’s tendency to follow his emotions and instincts, as well as Luna’s wild imagination. She refuses to believe things to be true unless there is true evidence waved in front of her eyes. One instance can be the Deathly Hallows theory. Hermione constantly clashes with Harry’s hotheadedness, yet this acts as an important hindrance, so that Harry can slow down and remain calm. It is Hermione that allows Harry to think logically and maintain his head in critical situations. This stops Harry from making rash decisions and straying too far from their goal to destroy horcruxes, while Ron acts as a buffer to stop the two from intensifying the arguments. The trio balances one another out, allowing their good qualities to flourish and flaws to be pushed down. Hermione’s determination for evidence may seem like a flaw, yet it undoubtedly is extremely significant, especially for Harry. 


She also insists him to work on Occlumency and focus on blocking out Voldemort from his mind. She acts like Harry’s older sister, repeatedly nagging him and trying to keep him on track. She does not want Harry to have visions about Voldemort, as this does not usually end well, yet Harry’s curiosity often wins over his desire to clear his own mind. Their conflict creates balance, and only in balance there is power within the trio.


Hermione is a Gryffindor by heart. Just like what Terry Boot pointed out, why isn’t Hermione sorted in Ravenclaw? Ravenclaw values those with the desire for knowledge, those who are witty, intelligent, and wise. Hermione embodies most of these traits, yet it is what she values and chooses that places her in Gryffindor. Referring back to the previous quote:


"Books! And cleverness! There are more important things - friendship and bravery."

(From Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)


Harry and Ron are friends that Hermione possibly never had. She loves them, as they give her happiness. It is ultimately her love for her friends that motivates her to face her fears and walk into the trapdoor, risking the chance of being expelled.


Hermione occasionally clashes with her friends. She knows that she is different, and understands that Harry and Ron may be rash at times. Her indifference towards Quidditch and sports as a whole separates herself from the boys in their third year.


He and Ron stared at her, both holding the Firebolt. Hermione walked around them, sat down, picked up the nearest book, and hid her face behind it.

“So that’s it, is it?” said Professor McGonagall beadily, walking over to the fireside and staring at the Firebolt. “Miss Granger has just informed me that you have been sent a broomstick, Potter.”

Harry and Ron looked around at Hermione. They could see her forehead reddening over the top of her book, which was upside down.

Professor McGonagall turned on her heel and carried the Firebolt out of the portrait hole, which closed behind her. Harry stood staring after her, the tin of High-Finish Polish still clutched in his hands. Ron, however, rounded on Hermione.

“What did you go running to McGonagall for?”

Hermione threw her book aside. She was still pink in the face, but stood up and faced Ron defiantly.

“Because I thought — and Professor McGonagall agrees with me — that that broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Black!”

(From Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)


Upon hearing that Harry has gotten a new broomstick from an unknown person, Hermione is not blinded by obsession towards Quidditch. She becomes sceptical, and makes a logical conclusion that the broomstick is sent by the mass murderer, given the current circumstances. Harry and Ron are acting extremely rashly, not thinking about the consequences, and valuing Quidditch over their own safety. Hermione, however, understands the situation better than either of her friends. She hands the situation over to a reliable adult, fully aware that this can result in a damage in their friendship, which is what she values most. She cares for Harry’s safety, and is willing to sacrifice their friendship in order to keep him away from danger. She thinks for the best, and displays courage as she stands up to her friends defiantly, knowing that she is doing the right thing. Just like what Dumbledore has said, “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."


Hermione’s courage is also shown when she stands up to Harry, arguing with him about his recent vision of the captured Sirius. Harry has just seen Sirius being tortured in the Department of Mysteries, and his first instinct is to barge into the Ministry without a plan and without proof. He is terrified that he will lose his only family member, and is determined to do anything to save him. Harry is blinded by emotion, losing all sense of reasoning and thought. Hermione, however, keeps her head clear and explains her logic to Harry. Again, she prioritises her friend’s safety over his anger towards her. She knows that the situation that Harry has just seen is highly unlikely, and she is fully aware that Harry is falling into Voldemort’s trap, running straight into danger. By arguing with Harry, Hermione hopes to make him see that there is no proof or evidence that Sirius is captured. Her logic clashes with Harry’s impulse, yet she still stands defiantly and bravely, knowing that she is thinking for the best.


Upon understanding that Umbridge will never teach students actual defensive skills, Hermione is the first person to step out and take action. She decides to start an illegal defence organisation, and despite knowing that she is breaking rules in the process, she still sticks to her plan, knowing that in this case breaking rules is necessary. Hermione also is willing to take any risks to embark on the dangerous Horcrux hunt. She is fully aware that she is at high risk of being killed or interrogated due to her Muggle-born status, yet she still is willing to put herself in danger for the greater good. Hermione modifies her parents’ memory in order to keep them safe, sacrificing her own happiness and family for the sake of the wizarding world.


When Ron leaves the tent in fury, Hermione’s heart is shattered into a million pieces. By staying by Harry’s side, she is choosing the greater good over Ron, the person whom she loves so deeply. This courageous choice causes her immense emotional anguish, and she sobs uncontrollably, barely sleeping or eating. Yet again, she knows that she is making the best decision, and therefore acts according to it. This exceptionally courageous feat is not what everyone can achieve. Her emotional resilience and strength gives her the ability to ultimately make the right choices.


Hermione’s most defining trait, however, is her fight against discrimination in the wizarding world. As a Muggle-born, Hermione faces a lot of bullying and hate in Hogwarts, yet she keeps her head high and ignores their comments, refusing to show her vulnerable side. This causes her to develop a strong determination to protect those who are pushed down by wizards, including house-elves, goblins, giants, and werewolves. Upon realising that house-elves are mistreated and brainwashed to think that they are destined to serve a family for their entire life, Hermione is shocked and takes action immediately.


Inside were about fifty badges, all of different colours, but all bearing the same letters: S.P.E.W.

“‘Spew’?” said Harry, picking up a badge and looking at it. “What’s this about?”

“Not spew,” said Hermione impatiently. “It’s S-P-E-W. Stands for the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare.”

“Never heard of it,” said Ron.

“Well, of course you haven’t,” said Hermione briskly, “I’ve only just started it.”

“Yeah?” said Ron in mild surprise. “How many members have you got?”

“Well — if you two join — three,” said Hermione.

“And you think we want to walk around wearing badges saying ‘spew,’ do you?” said Ron.

“S-P-E-W!” said Hermione hotly. “I was going to put Stop the Outrageous Abuse of Our Fellow Magical Creatures and Campaign for a Change in Their Legal Status — but it wouldn’t fit. So that’s the heading of our manifesto.”

She brandished the sheaf of parchment at them.

“I’ve been researching it thoroughly in the library. Elf enslavement goes back centuries. I can’t believe no one’s done anything about it before now.”

(From Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)


When everybody simply accepts house-elves as slaves who enjoy their work, Hermione is willing to stand up and make a difference. She begins her own campaign herself, and despite the lack of support from her peers, remains passionate about promoting elfish rights. She alone understands what it is like to be discriminated against, and deeply sympathises with those who have low status in society. Although SPEW is treated as more of a joke, and although Hermione is taking wrong steps in improving elves’ rights, her ability to feel compassion and stand up for those who suffer is her greatest strength.


There are many characters in Harry Potter that suffer from discrimination and prejudice. Hagrid tries to hide it by staying in his cabin, ashamed to show his face to the public after his identity is revealed by Rita Skeeter to the public. Lupin keeps his identity a secret, and feels insecure and embarrassed because of it, scared that he is ruining the lives of Tonks and Teddy by starting a family. Hermione is just like them, an outsider, unwanted by many wizards and witches at that time. But she does not try to hide it. She is not ashamed of her identity, but proud of it.


Griphook gave a nasty laugh.

“But it is, it is about precisely that! As the Dark Lord becomes ever more powerful, your race is set still more firmly above mine! Gringotts falls under Wizarding rule, house-elves are slaughtered, and who amongst the wand-carriers protests?”

“We do!” said Hermione. She had sat up straight, her eyes bright. “We protest! And I’m hunted quite as much as any goblin or elf, Griphook! I’m a Mudblood!”

“Don’t call yourself —” Ron muttered.

“Why shouldn’t I?” said Hermione. “Mudblood, and proud of it! I’ve got no higher position under this new order than you have, Griphook! It was me they chose to torture, back at the Malfoys’!”

As she spoke, she pulled aside the neck of the dressing gown to reveal the thin cut Bellatrix had made, scarlet against her throat.

“Did you know that it was Harry who set Dobby free?” she asked. “Did you know that we’ve wanted elves to be freed for years?” (Ron fidgeted uncomfortably on the arm of Hermione’s chair.) “You can’t want You-Know-Who defeated more than we do, Griphook!”

The goblin gazed at Hermione with the same curiosity he had shown Harry.

(From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)


Hermione is not afraid to call herself a Mudblood. She never lets the derogatory comments of her enemies get into her heart. By having the bravery to label herself with a horrid word without hesitation, Hermione is keeping the term as her own and wearing it as if it is a crown. She does not cower from it, flinch when someone uses it, but instead raises her head high, allowing herself to shine brightly among others, standing out as a righteous figure who is always willing to fight against prejudice. Her character contrasts sharply with that of Lupin’s or Hagrid’s: despite being unwanted and disliked among witches and wizards, she does not hide away from the spotlight, instead stands upright, not afraid to show her true self to the public.


Rowling constantly relates real world problems and manages to flawlessly integrate them into the imaginary world. Discrimination is the most prominent social issue that slowly manifests itself throughout the series. Hermione serves as a role model to those who suffer from prejudice in our society. She is born with a low status, and her figure as a “nerd” makes her even more prone to bullying and hatred. Yet this does not stop her from being an influential witch, always ready to shout out and raise awareness about status issues when nobody else does. Through her character, Rowling urges readers nowadays to take actions to reduce prejudice in the modern world, and fight back against those who attack innocents because of their status or wealth.


The films’ portrayal of Hermione causes most fans to view her as a powerful, beautiful, and genius witch, and overlook the depth and growth of her character. Although Hermione in the books may initially seem annoying, stubborn, or short-sighted, she eventually grows out of her rule-following stage, willing to do anything for her friends and the wizarding world. Hermione Granger is a character who inspires many young girls to stand up for gender and race discrimination in modern society. Her outstanding resilience as well as three-dimensional flaws is what makes her such an endearing and relatable character to readers.

 

 

Note: Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling has been accused of transphobia by those in the LGBTQ+ community. I would like to reiterate my support for trans rights and that trans identities are valid.


The author's comments:

"Then tell wind and fire where to stop, but don't tell me." Discrimination is a recurring issue in modern society, yet there are few people who are willing to stand up against it. Hermione Granger is a character who will never back down, always ready to voice out, defending those suffering from prejudice in the wizarding world. Hope you enjoy.