A Winding Journey Through Mental Health: 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' | Teen Ink

A Winding Journey Through Mental Health: 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'

"It's Kind of a Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini is an interesting story discussing a teenager, suicide, sex, and drugs. This novel takes readers on a unique journey through the mind of its protagonist, Craig Gilner, as he navigates the complexities of his mental illness.
The story begins with Craig, a well-done teenager drowning in the pressure to succeed academically and conform to societal expectations. Filled with anxiety and depression, Craig reaches the breaking point and checks himself into a psychiatric hospital one night, setting the stage for a transformative experience. There, finally, Craig can confront his anxiety and is willing to live.
However, when I was reading, I couldn’t understand what Craig wasn’t going through because I couldn’t relate to how he was feeling. He was a teenager, always thinking about sex whenever he saw a female. From my perspective, this is indecent, and I’m unsure if this is what a teenager his age thinks about.  It was written quite realistic.
One reason why the book is realistic is because of the author’s own similar experience. Ned Vizzini struggled through mental health issues during his youth, and his personal experience lends a genuine and empathetic voice to Craig. So, through Craig's first-person narration, readers go inside the daily struggles, thoughts, and emotions of someone grappling with mental illness. Vizzini captures the raw vulnerability of his protagonist. For example, Craig struggles with schoolwork and feels inadequate compared to geniuses.
Furthermore, the supporting cast of characters at the mental hospital adds depth to the story. Each patient has a unique background and experiences and faces different challenges. The interactions among them provide moments of both humor and heartache. Their friendships developed to serve as a reminder that even in the darkest times, human connections bring hope and healing to your soul.
Vizzini's writing style is conversational and accessible. This is because the book’s quite real, making it easy for readers to connect with Craig and his experiences. When I read about Craig discussing why he was so overwhelmed in chapter 11, I felt connected to him. Craig explains that he’s so common, but nobody tells him he’s common. You are not doing too bad, but neither is it very good. You are average. This is terrible. I got a 90 on my math quiz the day before I read this part. I felt the same. My score starts with 9, and my parents didn’t say much.  They are quite satisfied. But I know this isn’t enough. This is hell.
I don’t know a lot about the treatment of mental health issues. Although while reading the book, the five days are written very descriptively and detailed. But I think it’s unrealistic for a teenager who wants to commit suicide one night to suddenly turn into such a positive person who is willing to live after five days in a mental hospital. Also, the story’s romantic part feels contrived and too quick (Like how two young teenagers fall in love in an adult mental hospital so quickly).
Besides, the book's plot structure, with chapters that alternate between Craig's time in the hospital and his life outside, keeps the narrative engaging.  Incorporating Craig's artwork and illustrations provides an additional display of his mental state and creativity.
In conclusion, Ned Vizzini's "It's Kind of a Funny Story" is a touching story of mental health that resonates with me. It taught me the importance of seeking help, breaking down mental health stigma, and the super powerful power of self-acceptance. This book encouraged me to reflect on my own life and reminds readers that, sometimes, the first step towards healing is acknowledging our vulnerabilities. Through its memorable characters and authentic portrayal of mental illness, the novel demonstrates mental health struggles and is a beacon of hope for those on a journey toward self-discovery and healing.