The Language of Fear

The Lanuage of Fear
By Del James

While being published in 1995 , Del James’s book The Language of Fear is certainly a book to be enjoyed today . The book is composed of several short stories that expose the darker side of human nature , including a foreword by Guns N Roses front man Axl Rose . I personally have not have that much experience reading horror stories , but the fact that Axl Rose is someone I look up to compelled me to read it . The short story “Without You” was especially impressionable because although a few of the elements of the story were changed , Del James based the character of Mayne Man on Axl Rose , and the story led to the song and more importantly the music video to Guns N Rose’s “November Rain” . Del James uses specific detail to make the reader as if they were the very soul of Mayne Man , watching all his actions and feeling every emotion that passes through his frail , abused body . You can feel the cool purple silk of Mayne’s kimono shirt as it slides over his hot fevered skin . You can completely envision Mayne Man wearing away from drugs when he describes his green emerald eyes no longer being authentic gems but rather costume jewelry . The Language of Fear definitely is not for young children , and maturity , not childlike curiosity is necessary to read this book , along with a deeper understanding of things in life and the ability to read between the lines on occasion . This work of literature is dark , compelling , and causes people to question thing they normally wouldn’t . It is as descriptive as it is well written , and it is a book that no matter what the copyright is , will always be a book to be enjoyed for its vivid and unique description and , as Axl Rose puts it , “a real sense of danger whenever an individual takes things to far” , along with “a healthy dose of extreme violence , perversions, insecurities ,addictions , infidelities , and other themes regarding the darker side of human nature” .

tor10jax said...
I thought the way you described the book made me want to read it, but this review started out having nothing to do with this specific book. I like how you incorporated quotes from the book into the review.
Keep Writing!

angyl123 said...
I thought that it was an exellent review but it was also very interesting it made me want to read the book. very nice work indeed