Freeze Frame | Teen Ink

Freeze Frame

June 19, 2009
By Cynthia Lam BRONZE, Westfield, New Jersey
Cynthia Lam BRONZE, Westfield, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Freeze Frame
By: Heidi Ayarbe

Freeze Frame, by Heidi Ayarbe, is a dark, thought-provoking, multi-layered novel about a boy's struggle to accept reality, move on, and ultimately, find himself. Kyle is a typical high school outcast, until a tragic incident changes everything. After the sudden death of his best friend, Jason, his life spirals out of control, as he struggles to remember what truly happened on that fateful day and regain normality once again.

I thought this was a very deep and interesting novel, as it explored the many different (and sometimes frightening) sides of human nature. The story slowly unravels, layer by layer, through the flashbacks and memories of the central character, while also weaving a web of suspense and sentiment through the fast-paced drama currently taking place. I also liked how the book was written, using a series of short vignette-like chapters and compelling, movie-version scenes. This added a new and refreshing touch to Freeze Frame, and made it more appealing to read.

At certain points in the plot, I felt that the storyline dragged. Although most of the action and dialogue was necessary, oftentimes, it took too long to build up to the climax of the story, after the gunshot scene.
Overall, though, Freeze Frame was a meaningful and rewarding read. I would recommend it to teens who enjoy drama, realistic fiction, and mystery.