Good Omens — Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett | Teen Ink

Good Omens — Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

By AR2468 SILVER, Shenzhen, Other
AR2468 SILVER, Shenzhen, Other

Discussions about Hell and Heaven are indispensable to almost everybody’s childhood. Adults tend to tease children that if they are too naughty, they cannot elevate to Heaven when they die and get stuck with the devils in Hell in despise. Nonetheless, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett provide the reader with an alternative view of Angels and Heavens in the comedic fantasy novel Good Omens published in 1990. 

The story revolves around an unexpected friendship between an angel named Aziraphale and a demon named Crowley, who has been living on Earth since the beginning of time. They have developed a fondness for humanity and have become accustomed to the comforts of the human world, unwilling to leave Earth. The presents of a prophecy book, "The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch," foretells an impending apocalypse, which indicates that the end of the world is set to occur on a specific Saturday when the Antichrist, a boy named Adam Young, inherits his full powers and destroy the world. Due to a mix-up at the hospital, the Antichrist is switched with another child and grows up in an ordinary, suburban family. As the prophesied day approaches, both Heaven and Hell are thoroughly preparing for the final battle between good and evil and fight to become the winning side, while Aziraphale and Crowley, who have grown infatuated with Earth, decide to collaborate and prevent the Apocalypse from happening. Together, they race against time to find the true Antichrist and avert the end of the world. In the end, through a series of unexpected twists and turns, Adam Young, with his friends by his side, makes a choice that defies both sides' expectations and ultimately brings a different kind of resolution to the Apocalypse.

Unraveling the characters’ journey and actions, Gaiman and Pratchett break free from the fundamental ideological stereotype of the perceived nature of good and evil. Armageddon's premise holds that good and evil are polar opposites, with no gray area in between. Crowley evaluates that the outcome of the Great War would either be “endless Heaven or, depending on who won, endless Hell.” This makes the distinction between good and evil very clear: Heaven is the realm of good, while Hell is the realm of evil. Interestingly, this claim does not reflect reality. Crowley once exclaimed, “Look at Satan. Created as an angel, grows up to be the Great Adversary,” suggesting that good and evil are not absolute and fixed categories but rather exist on a spectrum and are shaped by personal choices. On the one hand, Metatron, the voice of God, though categorized to the good side, still wishes to win over the evil forces from Hell at any expense, not taking all the innocent lives on Earth into account at all. The portrayal of Heaven as a bureaucratic institution, as they behave and make decisions according to self-interest instead of pursuing pure morality, provides an insight of which there is no such thing as complete goodness. On the other hand, despite being a demon, Crowley forms a friendship with an angel, shows moments of compassion, and acts against his demonic instincts, such as wishing to stop the Apocalypse to prevent unnecessary destruction and sacrifices to humanity. All the different aspects present in each character highlight the idea that individuals have the capacity to transcend their assigned roles and make choices based on their own moral compass.

The concept of free will is gradually conveyed through Adam Young, the Antichrist. The novel often discusses the Ineffable Plan — God’s plan for Earth, drawing an end to humanity with Armageddon. It seems this fate is inevitable, as all beings are supposedly bound by prophecy and have no choice but to follow the path God has laid out. However, the angel and the demon wish to alter the future through their course of action. After the incident of mixing up the babies in the Satanic church, Adam was raised in a normal household with no unopposed views. Led by his neutral surroundings, he does not use his powers for the good of Hell, which was his original purpose but rather uses them to benefit himself and his human friends, the Them. Despite being created for the sole purpose of starting the Apocalypse, he does not follow the fate designed for him due to not being ever persuaded by Hell’s viewpoint to destroy everything. Therefore, instead of becoming a symbol of “good or bad” he simply represents humanity, which does fall under any particular standpoint; all he wants is for life to continue as normal. He points out the flaws in the concept of Armageddon, stating in his argument, "I don't see what's so triflic about creating people as people and then gettin' upset 'cos they act like people," which further reaffirms his objective point of view and advocacy for free will. Thus, Good Omens brings out how prophecies, in some sense, are self-fulfilling. Believing in destiny is the fatal aspect that makes fate come true. “If you want to imagine the future, imagine a boy and his dog and his friends. And a summer that never ends.” Even in the face of horrific prophecies, instead of giving up hope, there is still room for optimism and for people to try their best and make choices to change the future.

The friendship between Aziraphale and Crowley is also notable. Although belonging to opposing sides in the cosmic war between good and evil, the angel and the demon have spent 6,000 years exclusively on Earth, and they share a deep bond forged through their shared experiences and common interests. They share a deep bond forged through their love for the mortal world. Their friendship reflects the idea that friendship can transcend societal or cosmic boundaries. It demonstrates that connections between individuals can form regardless of their backgrounds, beliefs, or circumstances. Friendship can bridge gaps, challenge preconceptions, and bring out the best in people, even those who are supposed to be, and together fight for what they believe is right and worthwhile.

Overall, Good Omens is an exquisite novel that combines humor, wit, and glimpses of the supernatural to explore vital concepts in life in a lighthearted tone and entertaining power, which deserves a pleasant afternoon for the reader to emerge into its stirring storyline.