Our Missing Hearts review | Teen Ink

Our Missing Hearts review

By s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey
s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey

you are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. you are your own voyeur -margaret atwood

Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng is another masterful read. Set in a world that seems very similar to our own, save for the discriminatory PACT (Preserving American Cultures and Traditions Act), a law forbidding any “foreign influence” from entering the country. Anyone that threatens the American way of life happens to mysteriously disappear or otherwise be shut down. Many civilians of a foreign background live in fear, attempting to blend in with the rest of the population so as not to attract attention.  This dystopian novel centers around a young boy named Bird, whose mother is just one of thousands of “disappeared” persons, all due to the work of PACT. In the story, Bird tries to find his mother and understand the world, as his mother and her book of poems “Our Missing Hearts” was the spark of the revolution against PACT. As Bird looks for his mother, he learns about the value of bravery and family. Although Bird is so young, it is easy for readers to find him relatable and an enjoyable narrator because he is simply trying to make sense of a world that seems to be against him.