Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars

December 29, 2008
By Anonymous

“It was horrible to think Ali might be dead, but… if she was, at least their secrets were safe. And they were. For 3 years, anyway.”- Pretty Little Liars. The attention grabbing book Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd shines past the usual “teen rumor” story. The girls all have secrets to hide but one might be bigger than the others. It could be compared to “Mean girls” with a horror twist.

The setting is Rosewood, Pennsylvania, where ordinary is simply an understatement. Ali DiLaurentis was the ring leader of her “circus”, until she goes missing in the summer after seventh grade. The plot then revolves around the intricate lives of her ex best friends, Spencer Hastings, Aria Montgomery, Emily Fields and Hanna Marin. They are put to the test in dealing with grief and discovering who they truly are.

Spencer is the classic overachiever, but has she always been faithful? Aria is a classy girl back from Iceland, but can she trust her dad? Emily is a straight-laced swimmer, but how important was Ali to her? Hanna is an ugly duckling turned into it-girl on campus, but what could she be hiding? Ali is the most interesting of all; she had a love/hate relationship with everyone who surrounded her. She was gorgeous, athletic and had the perfect degree of snootiness. Ali always knew who to talk to, what her posse should be wearing, and was the only one who knew their secrets. Who would want to take her? The summer of seventh grade she goes missing and their lives will never be the same. They have it all; boyfriends, cars, designer clothes and… a stalker.

The girls' secrets are out, and they may pay the cost for them. The book focuses on how black-mailing from a mysterious figure, known as “A”, is tearing their lives apart. The twists and turns of this book will make you yearn for more. Each of the characters has a distinct, powerful voice that does not compare to any others.

At times the book can be a tad bit confusing, and you really don't know if you are in a flashback, or the present. It also tends to repeat parts in the beginning that you already read, especially in the concluding novels Flawless, Perfect, Unbelievable and Wicked. It can be irritating and a waste of time which could be spent by reading new things.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone; you could be a fan of multiple narrators, mystery, teen drama, etc. I would rate it 5 out of 5 secrets. The girls in Rosewood may not be what they seem. To find out; all you have to do is open the book.