All American Boys: A Lesson to Humanity | Teen Ink

All American Boys: A Lesson to Humanity

By jedi BRONZE, Fort Lee, New Jersey
jedi BRONZE, Fort Lee, New Jersey

Heart racing, Quinn runs down the street to see his friend, Paul, beating up a black kid. The poor kid is already on the floor but Paul is still mercilessly beating him. Quinn covers his eyes and finally hears the kid stop crying. Then he sees Paul get up and look him straight in the eye saying, “He was a bad guy. I did what I had to do.” As Paul walks away, Quinn can only think of the times he had with his friend. Quinn thought of him as a police officer, a protector. But this one night has changed his view completely. He now understands what racism truly means and that he will have to decide whether to fight against it or not.

Racism. Freedom. Division. These words exist in our society. But they’re more than just simple words. Quinn, a 17-year-old white kid has just witnessed his best friend's brother, Paul,  beat up a black kid. Paul is the person he looks up to, the person he admires. He is a police officer and he is supposed to protect people. Quinn has been friends with Paul for a while but after seeing this, their relationship becomes fragile. Rashad, the boy who was beaten, is now in the hospital for injuries. Everyone at school is talking about Rashad. Before long, the students band together, getting other people from the town, to form a fight against racism and police brutality. Which side will Quinn choose; To be with his best friend and the other white kids, or to accept reality and fight for the right side, which might just cost him his friendships with Paul and his friends?

This book is not recommended for kids below the age of 12 because of its violence and language. Overall, the book is well written and it explains how racism still exists in this country no matter how much we try to put it behind us. The book’s themes are relevant to readers of all backgrounds though the main characters are black and white people. Neither of the two groups is willing to understand the other nor understand the source of their hatred. Readers of All American Boys, by Jason Reynolds, learn that if both sides were to understand each other more, there is a good chance that they would get along more easily. In conclusion, this book teaches the value of people of different races working with each other.

Jed Cha is a 13-year-old boy from New Jersey who likes to write stories and articles.