The Catcher In The Rye Review By: Salina Delapaz | Teen Ink

The Catcher In The Rye Review By: Salina Delapaz

By 4delapaz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4delapaz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I would recommend the book The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger to students who may not like reading; the book is very fast-paced, wanting to know what happens next. Holden tells the story of what happened during Christmas before he was sent to take it easy up at a psychiatric hospital. Throughout the novel, Holden faces mental health issues that cause him to react, understand and view things differently than the average person in the book. When I originally picked up the book I didn’t think that I would like it because it takes place before I was born and- about who turns out to be a young boy who is my age (16 years old) ranting about his issues.

When I finally got to the inside of a couple of chapters of the book I realized it’d be easy to get through. Later you get sucked into the novel and it starts to get funny here and there if you pay attention. The book isn’t all too happy throughout the whole novel; Holden’s younger brother Allie passed away at age 11 due to leukemia. Holden and Allie were very close; wherever Holden was he could always count on Allie to show up. “Having a hunch that if I turned around all of a sudden, I’d see Allie.” (page 50) Allies passing crushed Holden, indirectly having Holden get kicked out of school and go ‘crazy’ ‘trying to protect others' innocence.

Holden continually puts others before himself, which is very sweet but he really needs to focus on himself more than he does others. Join Holden's journey and find out what he’s been through. I think that many people can relate to Holden in multiple ways. While reading the book you almost feel like you’re Holden’s best friend, feeling the emotions he feels.

In conclusion, I think that overall The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger was a good book and I would recommend it to anyone but more directly to students who may struggle with getting into a book and wanting to actually read it.