Flipped book review | Teen Ink

Flipped book review

By katelynjernigan_ BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
katelynjernigan_ BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

“I was over him! Completely over him!”(206)  This quote from the book, Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen, is the perfect example of the ups and downs Juli and Bryce had throughout this realistic-fiction novel. When the two protagonists, Juli and Bryce first met at the age of 7, they had always had some type of connection, whether it was good or bad. Since the second Bryce and his family moved into Juli’s neighborhood, Juli had always been obsessed. She had always drowned herself in his bright ocean blue eyes, until she realized she’d been working up to him, chasing him all her life. Juli couldn’t take it anymore and suddenly did everything she could to avoid this “sneak” as Juli would call him. The second Juli had finally started to get over this boy, she’d been obsessed with for years, things started to “flip”.

Flipped really is a page turner. As every event, and every conflict occurred, page after page was a new form of excitement brought to the reader's mind. Something I really like about Flipped is the way you can see the two perspectives clearly of Juli and Bryce. Van Draanen’s use of words are simple, however, each interaction between Juli and Bryce were unpredictable, as a reader you never knew what was coming next, and each page brought a new sense of imagery to the reader’s mind. Not only the readers, but even Juli and Bryce were confused by their own actions, as they’re growing up and experiencing different feelings for each other. Flipped really is a great read, that I would recommend to kids/teens from the age of 11-15. I encourage you to encounter the adventures of Juli and Bryce!