I am The Messenger | Teen Ink

I am The Messenger

May 29, 2009
By Quinton Hooker BRONZE, Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
Quinton Hooker BRONZE, Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I read the book I am The Messenger by Markus Zusak. This book was written in 2002 and has 357 pages. It is classified the genre mystery. This book has tremendous and exciting events. The author has a very imaginative voice in many ways that makes scenes in the book pop out and grab you.

I am The Messenger takes place in a suburban area that has a rich part of town and a poor side of town. Ed Kennedy is an underage cab driver that pretty much has no plan for the future. Ed started getting these annoying cards in the mail after he stops a bank robbery. He tells you about the sometimes good and bad missions he has to do for someone he doesn’t even know. For example, at one point in the book, he gets a gun in the mail, and he has to use it on a man who has been abusing and raping his wife. At that moment, it is up to Ed what he will do next to get the message across to the man. Ed and the reader also tries to figure out who is sending Ed these cards in the mail that have addresses and sometimes just words on them. Ed then has to go to the addresses and somehow figure out what he has to do for that person or family. Ed is not alone; he has three main friends: Ritchie, Marv, and Audrey. They all play this game called Annoyance at least once a week at one of their houses. This game is their kind of bonding tool to get together and talk about their lives even though that doesn’t always happen. He also has his unbelievably stinky dog named the Doorman because he sleeps and stays at the door all day. The Doorman is also who Ed takes walks and drinks coffee with. Ed is deeply in love with Audrey, but Audrey doesn’t like him as much. With that Ed tells you his feelings he has for Audrey and also what he wishes could be true one day between them. One example of that is when he kisses Audrey, but she doesn’t kiss back. He knows Audrey will only think of him as a friend after his attempt to show his love for her. As you read, you really find out who Ed Kennedy truly is and so does he. He has a lot to deal with like the cards he gets in the mail from an unknown person, and his love for Audrey.

I think the author got his point across because after reading the book you ask yourself maybe I have a message I need to bring to the world, and how am I going to accomplish it? The author’s writing is extremely powerful, but beautiful at the same time. Like how Ed still loves Audrey even though she is seeing and sleeping with other men. To me, that shows Ed has crazy love for her because he wishes he was that other guy and has such anger towards him, but knows they can only be friends. To me there are no weaknesses to this story at all because of the message the book brings. My overall response to the book was that it was terrific! I couldn’t stop turning the pages to see what adventure Ed would have next. One example, is when he finds something out about his mom that he couldn’t believe was true but has to face it but doesn’t know how to confront her about it. I was mad when it ended. The misleading clues and the amazing action scenes made the book one of my all time favorites. I would recommend this book to all teenagers and adults because it may be too graphic for children.

In conclusion, this book was exciting and gives a great message overall throughout the book that many people can look up to.