Marked

Looking for more vampires? Needing something to keep your Twilight craving satisfied, but you've already read the whole series like a hundred times? Say yes and I'll introduce to you another heart-squeezing series. You definitely have to read The House of Night series by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast, which all began in the totally ah-mazing book, Marked. These books are shorter so don't worry, it won't take forever to read.
Hey, these vampires still stunningly beautiful, but are different and perhaps so much cooler, as the word is spelt with a “y”: vampyres. Ain't that nice? Anyway, spelling lessons put aside, this story is told through the voice of typical a sixteen-year-old girl, Zoey Redbird, who gets not-so-typically Marked and becomes a vampyre fledgling. Now she must let go of her human life and move in to The House of Night, a private boarding school, where she will be surrounded and taught by adult vampyres. Or else her body will reject the Change to vampyre-hood and she will die. That does sound kind of extreme but it does happen to fledglings.
Teen realism is thrown into the mix in the form of a not-very-pleasant family, a backstabbing friend, and isolation. Zoey doesn't mind leaving her family as it hasn't really been a family after her mother married John (A.K.A. “The Step-Loser”). As for her best friend, Zoey won't be missing Kayla after how she acted upon discovering Zoey's Mark. Nor will she miss humans in general as they regard her as a freak, but she definitely will enjoy missing the geometry test she was supposed to have the next day. Although she just wants to fit in in this new life, Zoey stands out as no ordinary fledgling as she has been given extraordinary powers by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. With her new fabulous friends, she must use these gifts to fulfill her destiny and restore order at The House of Night by getting a nasty, evil fledgling to stop misusing her own gift.
However, it's not all unicorns and rainbows as a little blood-sucking relationship with her human almost-ex-boyfriend complicates Zoey's already stressed-out life. Talk about more paranormal romances, which P.C. Cast is well-known for her skill at writing about. Kristin Cast made sure that the dialogue sounds teenager-ish. I guess I should warn you about mature content and language and whatnot but we're all teens, right? Not that Zoey herself swears; she's a good girl and won't be lured by peer pressure although her friends keep telling her it's okay to cuss. By the way, if you're looking for Edward Cullen, you might find that this Bella has more than one.

Alon_Freebird said...
May 19, 2011 at 5:24 am

I like HoN. It is actually about vampires, I mean vampyres, but there are a lot of witchcrafts in this series.

Heath is better than Stark--at least for Zoey.

tonite replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 5:56 am

ok i rate this my second favourite vampire series book ( the first is obviously vampire academy series)

and it is sooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!

witchcraft and vampires .... it has my two most favourite things in the world!!!!!!!!!!

werewolf-2222 said...
This series is was the second vampire series i ever read and this series made me fall even more in love with vampires.

BriBear replied...
definitly :) i was in love from the start

ForeverGone said...
Okay listen, i have read all of the books and it is an amazing series. Trust me. But it is NOTHING like twilight, i read all of the twilight books and they were GROTESQUE. Do NOT compare these amazing books to that stupid twilight. The wrighter of these books should be shuned! It has NOTHING to do with the TRUE vampire story, AND she screwed up wearwolfs too! i dont care if they were a new "type" or whatever. there is only ONE type of wearwolfs. And if vampires dont drink human blood they ... (more »)

katy_valentine said...
I really liked these books at first, but I know I really can't stand Zoe and they kind of ruined the books for me. :( Some of the wording in the review could use some work, but other than that it was very well done! You knew just what to include.

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great review, and as this is the first book review i've ever read on here I'm glad it was this one! I love this series!!!!

Writerzhand said...
I love this series, its one of the few more vampire like series in there that isn't stupid. The perspective its written from is awesome, but not very deep. Typical, hahahaha. Either way, the books are great but if you're looking for something different, this isnt exactly it.
Great review tho

Sania said...
i loved this book aswell it was a great book and im looking forward to the last one.=D <3'd it!!!! Sania.

smufius said...
this review was good it made me read the books and ive read all the ones that are out and waiting for the next, i found these books were much better than twilight

His-Bright-Green-Eyes... said...
I love this series! I'm already on... Um... Oh! Chosen. Yup the third book. This is a great series! The first book is awesome second one is scary and i'm just starting the third one! I cant wait to get to the fifth one!! YAY!!

tor10jax said...
You have such a great writing style! Keep writing!

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Huh... Another book added to my constantly growing list... I can't wait to read it! Great review. I loved the Twilight references. Keep writing.
God bless,
...,

sallyloco said...
OMG! I so want to read this series! They have the new one out now! I dont remember what its called... oh well. But i'm so excited! I want the books so bad! AAHHGG!! Very good review!

VisionTru This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've actually read marked before. it was pretty good.

RAWR. said...
Jun. 15, 2009 at 12:05 am
Wow, this book sounds interesting. I think I'm going to try to read it!

MOhammed said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 2:02 am
This is a GREAT book. I love how you included the most important parts, yet you left it all a nice mystery. I LOVE THIS BOOK!

SilverDawn said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:39 am
D; arghh, i forgot to put a blank line between paragraphs so now it looks like some long, boring waste of time and i'm sorry. but please read it anyway (: <3