Perfect: A Novel by Natasha Friend | Teen Ink

Perfect: A Novel by Natasha Friend

I may not suffer from an eating disorder such as bulimia, and I most likely wont. However Natasha Friend author of Perfect makes it vary clear to me the reality of this disorder. Perfect is about Isabelle, a middle school aged girl who became bulimic after her father died. Isabelle was vary good at keeping her secret until one day her sister, April, catches Isabelle purging her food over the toilet. When April tells their mom the plan takes place.

The plan that Isabelle’s mother comes up with is to have Isabelle attend group therapy sessions to terminate Isabelle’s eating disorder. During her first session Isabelle meets all the others attending the groups, but one person she already knows. Ashley Barnum. Ashley in Isabelle’s mind is perfect, she is thin, beautiful, smart, kind, not to mention that every boy in their grade goes gaga over Ashley! There is just once problem… Ashley doesn’t even know Isabelle, or at least isn’t her friend. But that doesn’t last for long. Soon Ashley and Isabelle become best friends and spend every moment together.

After a while Isabelle realizes that her and Ashley don’t do all that much together but binge and purge, and Isabelle’s group and 1 on 1 sessions are working. Isabelle is not throwing up nearly as much and is learning her limits on what to eat. This book is inspiring and absolutely girly. If you want a fun book that is easy to read and has a great meaning thrown into the mix, then perfect is perfect!

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
grammar*** 

This is good, and I love this book! A few grammer errors, like tense changes, but besides that well written.