Dairy Queen | Teen Ink

Dairy Queen

May 26, 2009
By rachel oberheide BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
rachel oberheide BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

D.J., the main character, is driving her younger brother, Curtis, to a baseball convention. Before the trip, D.J. decided to join the boy’s football team at her school. As she practiced she realized that her long hair was getting in the way of her play. She made the decision to cut her hair short while she was with her brother. While she was in the shop, she kept having second thoughts but in the end she realized that she really want to play and would do anything for it. When the hair cutter asked what she wanted D.J. said, “I need it short. Because…the ponytail rubs against the football helmet.” (Page 188)

I really liked that point in the book because it was the point where it showed that she was really going to play. I was so excited to see that she finally took stand and made her decision. I was really proud of her because the entire book D.J was always following everyone else’s orders and never standing up for herself. It was a turning point in D.J’s life. I also liked it because it gave her confidents to talk to people and be known.

During the entire book, her brother never really talks. Curtis is very shy but their family isn’t very well bonded so they don’t try to help him. Curtis is struggling with the fact that he can’t talk to his older brothers because the father got into a huge fight with them. Curtis doesn’t want to be a farmer but knows that his father wants him to carry on the farm. Curtis doesn’t speak up for himself and lets everyone push him around. In the car ride back from the baseball convention, D. J has the confidence to talk to her brother about important issues. She realized that they were in the same boat. They both were doing something they didn’t want to do because they were either good at it or others made them to. D.J didn’t want to be a farmer her whole life and not enjoy her life, while Curtis didn’t want to follow in his brothers foot steps. Finally D.J said, “You know, you don’t have to play. Curtis turned to look at me. Just because Win plays football, and Bill, and me if I make the team, that doesn’t mean you have to. Curtis frowned, suspicious. I’m serious. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, you know.” (191-192) Finally Curtis told D.J. that he wanted to be a dentist. This was an amazing experience for both of them, their friendship grew and they became better friends. I think D.J and Curtis needed each other during these ruff times. During this baseball convention, D.J and Curtis, I think, had a turning point in their life for the better. I was really happy for both of them because they will always have each other’s back.

The author's comments:
awesome book!!!!!