Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson

By , Livingston, NJ
This series is about, Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gazzy, and Angel, a group of kids who are 98% human and 2% bird because of genetic experimentation at the School. Max, the supposed oldest of the six “birdkids”, is the leader who makes sure they survive every day (except when she gets kidnapped). In the course of five books, Max discovers her purpose in life: to save the world.

James Patterson is an incredible writer. He can make any story interesting by coming up with the perfect twists and intriguing characters. The attitude he gives his characters could make any book interesting. Patterson even incorporates real problems (Global Warming).

However, Patterson has his faults. After a while, the Maximum Ride series can get annoying. There are questions that we’ve wanted the answers to since book 1. Who is the Voice inside Max’s head? Is Angel, the mind-reading and mind controlling six year-old avian-human hybrid, good or bad? Why did Jeb, the scientist from the School who’d helped the Flock escape, leave the Flock before the first novel? There are more unanswered questions but I would rather not give anything else away. The point is, Patterson needs to end this series and give us answers. Creating more evil scientists, like the Uber Director (Maximum Ride: The Final Warning) and Mr. Chu (Max: A Maximum Ride Novel) who want something from the flock but have no real relevance to the whole series, is annoying.

In addition to this flaw, Max’s savvyness and sassyness can get repetitive. You might find yourself frustrated because she cares too much about her pride to consider the fact that she is actually in danger. She makes the same mistakes over and over again, as well. Angel ignores Max’s directions once and yet she’s astonished when Angel does it, again.

I would recommend this series to anyone and everyone but wait until the series has been finished because otherwise there will be questions that will continue to bother you until the last book is published.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 12:56 am
I haved every book in this series and i kinda agree with you a lot of unanswered questions and max is very headstrong but still great also "the angel experiment" was the best one in my opinion.

readlikecrazy10 said...
i thought, "FINALLY, a maximum ride review!" when i saw it, and it was good, but i LOVE Max as a character... she resembles one in my own writing, and i don't think you can criticize an author by their choice of personality in their character. i wouldn't, anyway. but it WAS a good article, though. just beacause i dissagree with your point of view doesn't mean i didn't like it... :)

tor10jax replied...
I like Max as a character, i just thinks she gets a little annoying sometimes, which turns off some readers.  Thanks for your comments, though.  I really appreciate it. :D

readlikecrazy10 replied...
i've been thinking about it, and now that you mention it, Max's personaloty can be a bit annoying. she's just too repetitive, like you said. She can't stand the facet of someone thinking she's weaker than they are becauseof her childhood at the school, where nobody believed in the bird kids. It's actually pretty good writing, i think, because she shows, loud and clear, that no one will get in her way and that she won't change the way she is for anything. not even if it means lea... (more »)

readlikecrazy10 replied...
p.s. plz ignore my typos. And you're welcome for the comments :)

Fallen55 said...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 10:06 am
THEY NEED TO MAKE THIS INTO A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK IT WOULD BE AN AMAZING MOVIE.... JUST PUTTING THIS OUT THERE(:

tor10jax replied...
Definitely. (Thanks for commenting)

readlikecrazy10 replied...
i agree! i found out they are, too!!!!!!! 2013, according to an app i got on my iPod... :) we've got a while, but it'll be worth the wait! :)

tor10jax replied...
That's AWESOME!!

eglantine said...
"Fang", the 6th book in the series is coming out soon!!!

tor10jax replied...
OH MY G-D! Really?!

camille_1441 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very well written, honest but not distructive, keep writing!

amyxu said...
Hey nice job. Way to be honest! :)

tor10jax said...
Sorry, about those comments. I was figuring out how teenink worked and didn't understand why my comments weren't appearing. But, please comment.

tor10jax said...
Comment, Criticize, and vote to your heart's desire.

tor10jax said...
Please comment, criticize, or vote to your hearts desire.

tor10jax said...
Thank you!

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:54 am
Wow. I'm a great fan of the series but I have had so many internal rants about how annoying it can be. I love it to death. But sometimes I want to strangle it. Its like that talented little sibling that you can't help but love. I thought your review was great. It tied together my frustrations with my joy and made a very pretty gift wrap for the present that I just can't wait to open. Keep writing.
God bless,
...,