A series of Unfortunate Events review | Teen Ink

A series of Unfortunate Events review

When they receive devastating news that their parents had died in a tragic accident, the three Baudelaire children, Violet, Sunny, and Klaus, are forced to live with their evil relative, Count Olaf. Olaf is a master of disguise who is willing to do anything to get his hands on the Baudelaire fortune. Violet is the oldest of the three children who likes to come up with many new ideas, Klaus the younger boy likes to read and study, and the toddler, Sunny, has very strong teeth and likes to chew on anything she comes in contact with. The plots in each of these books have very predictable plots. Mr. Poe, who is the Baudelaire’s unfortunate executor, appoints a guardian who is a relative of some sort to the children, but is unable to keep Count Olaf away. Many of the people in the book are fooled by Count Olaf’s disguises, but the children know 100 percent it is the Count. The Unfortunate thing is that no one is willing to believe the children. It is the 3 Baudelaire children responsibility to figure out Count Olaf’s plan of how is going to get their fortune. This book is very different from any other children’s book. The author Lemony Snickett said the following: “Dear Reader, im sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.” The story takes place in Boston, Massachusetts, which is where the Baudelaire mansion is, which took place in the late 1800’s. A series of unfortunate events is a mysterious book. The author did a good job of telling the readers that “right when you think something good is going to happen its not, expect the unexpected”. People who like books that you cant put down, that are very fast to read, and are unpredictable, then this is the book for you. This book is different from any other children’s book because it involves people dying, and many horrible things happening to the kids. I felt this was a great book because it kept me on the edge of my chair the whole time and I could not put it down, a must read!