The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler | Teen Ink

The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler

May 21, 2009
By ethan wright BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
ethan wright BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn

The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn is the first book of Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler’s samurai mystery series. In these stories the main character, Sekei, dreams of being a samurai. But, a merchant boy such as himself would never be allowed to wear the honored Katana and Wakizashi swords that identified him as a samurai.
In the first episode of this samurai mystery series, Sekei is disturbed at night when he hears the door of his inn room opening. The ghost stories he had been listening to earlier were playing tricks on his eyes. Right in front of him he sees the very ghost he had been told about in the story. Having the only eye witness account and a knack for solving mysteries, Sekei helps Judge Ooka solve the case of the Ghost in the Tokaido Inn.
Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler put together a realistic 16th century samurai story with their series. The culture and atmosphere of 16th century Japan are brought out in the plot of their story. The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn is a quick read but the morals and adventure make it a fun and enjoyable read for everyone.
There are six books to this entire mystery series so far. Dorothy and Thomas are continuing to write more stories. They have published over 90 books and have won many awards for both their samurai series and other books they have written. The Hoobler’s classic style is evident in Sekei’s adventure and make the story a must read for a wide range of ages.