The Night Circus: The Checkerboard of Two Obsessed Opponents | Teen Ink

The Night Circus: The Checkerboard of Two Obsessed Opponents

June 19, 2021
By gzq GOLD, Deerfield, Massachusetts
gzq GOLD, Deerfield, Massachusetts
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Night Circus is a fiction novel written by author Erin Morgenstern, published in 2011. Along with its several intertwining timelines, the book narrates a love story between Celia and Marco that is anything but mundane. It is a struggle that has been going on for generations, which is ultimately resolved by the two characters. Celia and Marco are both simply the checkers of two opposed magicians who have been playing the life-death game for the eighth round. What happens to them at the end is not clear, leaving an imagination space for the readers; however, the obvious thing is, they certainly end the cruel game and untie the knot between the obsessed opponents. Even though this novel is completely unrealistic, it urges me to contemplate various issues in real life that are constantly happening around me.

In the novel, the game between Celia and Marco originates from her father and his instructor. I viewed it as the epitome of some parents in the current society who impose their own dreams or life goals on their children. Since Celia’s father and Marco’s instructor cannot determine who the winner is between the two of them, they decide to continue the game to many future generations, which is undoubtedly unfair to them. Similarly, some parents today force their unfulfilled personal accomplishments vicariously onto their children, which is also undeserved. These children also have their own dreams they want to pursue, like Celia and Marco who uncontrollably fall in love with each other because they have their own sentiments. Fortunately, in reality, the game will not last more than two generations. The game between Celia and Marco ends in a tie, but in real life, children who are forced to pursue their parents’ dreams often experience unsuccessful lives for they have no passion for goals that aren’t their own.

Furthermore in the novel, in order for Celia to win the game, her father trains her in a completely inhumane way: he cuts all ten of Celia’s fingers when she is very young to teach her the ability to cure herself. To some extent, it does help Celia improve her skills, but I can’t imagine how tortuous this must be for a little girl. Because of these experiences, Celia later has the determination that few people can achieve. The behavior of Celia’s father reminds me of teachers and parents who try to educate their children rigorously in the name of love. While a proper amount of rigor could help them grow, too much might cause them to feel wretched or even result in mental illness. Fortunately, Celia doesn’t give up on herself but instead tries to prove her father wrong. However, in real life, I think only a few have Celia’s determination and courage.

As The Night Circus raises these provocative thoughts, I definitely recommend reading it. It uses such an innovative way to narrate across the span of a few decades, from the flourishing of the circus, to its downfall, and then to a new start. The love story of Celia and Marco touched me a lot, as they not only shoulder their almost impossible relationship, but also take responsibility for the destiny of the entire circus. At the end, in order to save the circus, they choose to disappear from the material world. This also creates a space for us readers to imagine Celia and Marco’s stories that follow.