Wilderness Survival by Suzanne Swedo | Teen Ink

Wilderness Survival by Suzanne Swedo

By timothy archer BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia
timothy archer BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia

Book Review Outline
Book title and author: Wilderness Survival by Suzanne Swedo
Title of review: Survival Skills
Number of stars (1 to 5): 3

Introduction

West Virginia has many forests and wooded areas to hunt and hike. Right behind my house are miles of wooded trails and mountains. I like to ride my dirt bike and explore that area. The wilderness survival guide book really interested me. The author Suzanne Swedo teaches how to avoid common mishaps and what to do if you get lost or have an emergency.

Description and summary of main points

In the wilderness you are on your own, so you have to be prepared. In an emergency there are people equipped to help, but you have to stay alive until help arrives. Accidents can happen to even the most skilled hikers, hunters, or outdoorsman. The wilderness is not an easy access for ambulances, or helicopters, so you should be mentally and psychically prepared for the worst. I have learned many tips for when I do go out exploring. Actually one important tip I learned is to never go out alone. So I think from now on I’ll take a family member or friend along with me it I decide to go too far off the trail.

Evaluation

Before you adventure, you should have tested all your equipment. Pack extra food water, and clothing. You should have also packed a map and a compass, and know how to read them. A pocket knife and matches in a waterproof container, and a pill bottle is a must. A whistle is a great idea because it is more audible than your voice if you are lost. If you are hiking in an isolated area it is a good idea to mark your trails. A good survival practice is to stay aware of the passing time. The average hiker can walk 2.5 to three hours a mile.

Conclusion

Most survival situations are resolved in twenty to forty-eight hours. Almost always the hiker will either find his own way to safety or be rescued by others. Knowledge of what to do before you set out for an adventure is key to survival.

Your final review

I thought this book was interesting, and would recommend it to all outdoorsman’s out there.