Eight Men out: the Black Sox and the 1919 World Series | Teen Ink

Eight Men out: the Black Sox and the 1919 World Series

By Brady Dye BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia
Brady Dye BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia

Book Review Outline
Book title and author: Eight Men out: the Black Sox and the 1919 World Series by Eliot Asinof
Title of review: The White Sox Fan Good Book
Number of stars (4 to 5):

Introduction

Eight Men out: the Black Sox and the 1919 World Series is a book about the scandal around the Chicago White Sox during the 1919 World Series. This book was written by a journalist interested in learning more and his purpose was to gather all the evidence and put it in a book that everyone could enjoy. I really did enjoy this book because it is about baseball, a sport that I really enjoy. I wanted to review it so other people who like baseball would want to read it also.

Description and summary of main points
This nonfiction book was first published in 1963 and the author was actually born in the year of the World Series fix which was 1919. The author begins with the history of the eight players that agreed to lose the 1919 World Series against Cincinnati for the money. They were talked into it by a man named Joseph Sullivan. The author explains that the gamblers during the 1900’s “openly boasted that they could control ball games as readily as they controlled horse races”. The players on the White Sox team didn’t make much money so they were able to be talked into it for the amount of $100,000.

Evaluation
The book contains a lot of details about the players and the other person involved, and gives inning by inning descriptions of each of the five games in the series. This was interesting to me because I really enjoy baseball but someone who doesn’t might find this part boring. I also learn a lot about the scandal like everyone who was at there games new it had been fixed. I thought it was a secret until later when they were found by authorities.

Conclusion
This book definitely achieved its purpose of giving all the details of what happened and seems to have more details than other books about the same thing. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves baseball and also to people who like mysteries because the trail part of the book is a mystery overall, I really liked it even thought it is very long and even though it was published in 1963, the same thing could happen today.

The book I wrote about this book is because it was about baseball and that is my favorite sport