The Year of Independence | Teen Ink

The Year of Independence

By FreddyLevenson GOLD, Stamford, Connecticut
FreddyLevenson GOLD, Stamford, Connecticut
10 articles 1 photo 1 comment

From The signing of the declaration of Independence to Washington’s crossing of the Delaware, everyone knows about the Revolutionary war. Yet, as much as we know, there is always more to find out. For instance, were you aware of the incredible journey that an amateur artillery man made while hauling the guns of Fort Ticonderoga across New York to Boston? Or how about the disastorous Battle of Brooklyn, in which thousands of troops were killed and General Sullivan was captured? The answers to these questions and more are in the book 1776.

1776 is a non-fiction book about the American Revolution in the year in which this country was born. It begins with King George III declaring the states in open rebellion, and ends with George Washington’s crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas, to surprise the Hessians at Trenton.

It shows in depth the siege of Boston, in which the Patriots set up camp in Dorchester heights, the Battle of New York, which was believed to be a crucial battle, and the Battle of Trenton, which was the only battle truly one during the year. It tells the story of the revolution through the viewpoints of Colonial Henry Knox, an amateur artillery man, General Nathanial Greene, a 33- year old Quaker from Rhode Island, and General William Howe, the commander-in-chief of the British Forces, or Redcoats. It reads like a story, with many exiting plot twists and can be very interesting at times.

I would give it a four and a half stars out of five because it is very interesting. You will say “Hmm!” aloud many times as you read this interesting book that is a pioneer in the genre.