Uglies by Scott Westerfeld | Teen Ink

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

By Lindsey Huffman BRONZE, Fresno, California
Lindsey Huffman BRONZE, Fresno, California

I have just finished reading Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and I must say I am thoroughly impressed. Westerfeld way of capturing the thought process of teen minds is incredible.

In this book, a young girl named Tally Youngblood is living in futuristic world where people are separated from each other based on their looks. You are considered "ugly" until you turn 16, when you get an operation that makes you "pretty" and socially acceptable. Tally grows up believing this is the normal way of life, until she meets a fellow Ugly named Shay. Shay shows her that there's life outside of Uglyville and New Pretty Town. Tally is then tricked into being a spy, but while out in the wilderness as a spy she starts to realize that maybe Shay was right, and that maybe this whole time, she really was beautiful...

The way Westerfeld uses physical appearances versus inner-beauty is really touching. Throughout the story you really feel part of Tally's life, and you really start to care for the characters.

I think this book is a great eye-opener for teenagers of all ages. Especially those struggling as outcasts.

Recommended to: Grades 7-12