Presentind the Marching Band | Teen Ink

Presentind the Marching Band

May 15, 2009
By Anonymous

Presenting the Marching Band
****

I loved the book "Presenting the Marching Band" by: Vincent Scuro. I give it 4 stars. It explains many different varieties of marching bands. It also explains how the band works. I believe the author intended for young teens to adults to read this and learn all about marching bands.

The book first starts out with the basics of the marching band. Then it moves on to how it began the director, the instruments, and the different types of marching bands. Some of the first types of marching bands it refers to is the drum line. Although the drum line is big, powerful and independent it is also driving, helpful and gentle. Some of the other types seem less musical, but still very amazing. The author then moves on to the fundamentals of controlling the band, the auxiliary, which are majorettes. Then is the explanation of the parades and half-time shows. They finished with how they put the whole thing together and the day of the performance.

I rate this book a 4 star because it is very interesting, but not so much that I couldn’t put it down. The thing I enjoyed the most was the information on how the band director runs things, because I hope to one day come back to my middle school and take over for my band director. The other information about the band camps and the different types of bands is also very helpful and intriguing. I recommend this book to people who would like to be something that deals with bands or the like, but if not I would not recommend this book.

This book was pretty good; I learned so many things from this that will stay with me forever and in my hopeful career as a band director. I think that the author pretty much covered his goals for the book. Many teens and adults will enjoy this extraordinary book about marching bands. From the basics to the performance, this captivating explanation of marching bands will keep you interested and wanting more. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did or even more.