Hiroshima by John Hersey | Teen Ink

Hiroshima by John Hersey

May 15, 2009
By Anonymous

Book Review Outline
Book title and author: Hiroshima by John Hersey
Title of review: An O.K. Book
Number of stars (1 to 5): 3 Stars


Hiroshima is a 152 page on the memories of the survivors of the atom bomb that destroyed the Japanese town of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945. John Hersey, the author, wrote this masterpiece so that he could inform the reader of what happened that dreadful day thought the accounts of the few people who survived the blast. In this review I plan to state my opinion on the nonfiction book Hiroshima.



Hiroshima is a major city in southern Japan that the U.S. bombed during World War II with the experimental atomic bomb on August 6, 1945. John Hersey author of Hiroshima and many other books was born in China in 1914. He studied at Yale where he taught for two years after also studying at Cambridge. He has won the Pulitzer Prize and he is married with five children and three grand children. The criteria I am judging the book on are what I have read and learned in other nonfiction books which I will describe in detail later.


John Hersey did an excellent job on this book. It is so good that I am judging it against The Coalwood Way by Homer Hickam. The Coalwood Way is a nonfiction book about the childhood life of Homer Hickam in the small mining town of Coalwood in McDowell County, West Virginia. Even though I did not like Hiroshima as much as did The Coalwood Way I still think it is a 3- star nonfiction book. Hiroshima reflects how much work John Hersey put into interviewing and compiling all the accounts of the survivors of the blast. I feel that the book achieved its goal of informing readers of what happens to the very heart and soul of town when a major weapon like the Atomic Bomb and the many lives it affected and /or took.



In this review I have stated my opinion of Hiroshima by John Hersey. I think that it is a very well written book on the accounts of survivors of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima August 6, 1945. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about wars and other s things related.