Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox | Teen Ink

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox

May 14, 2009
By Anonymous

What would you do if your mother was ill and had a life-threatening disease? I bet you would do anything to find the cure. In the action packed fantasy, Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer, an intelligent, sly teenager, Artemis Fowl, is faced with this problem. He needs the brain fluid of the silky sifaka lemur to cure his mother from a fairy disease called Spelltrophy. Unfortunately Artemis helped the lemur become extinct eight years ago. Artemis can only save his mother if he travels back in time to rescue the lemur and bring it back to the present. He must leave his home in Dublin, Ireland and travel back in time to the hot, dry desert in Fez, Morocco. Holly Short, a daring, short-tempered fairy tags along on the journey to help him if he encounters trouble. Along the way, Holly and Artemis meet up with Mulch Diggums, an obnoxious, criminal dwarf, who has the ability to dig a tunnel in a matter of seconds. He helps Holly and Artemis escape from some near death situations. As Holly, Mulch, and Artemis try to rescue the lemur they must battle the villainous ten year old Artemis, a group called the Extinctions, and an evil pixie named Opal Koboi.

Eoin Colfer writes books that are full of suspense and highly entertaining. He also uses many similes, metaphors, and descriptive words which help create vivid pictures in your mind of characters and events in the story. This book is part of a series of six books. The Artemis Fowl books can be compared to the J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series because they are filled with magical characters and full of suspense. Both J.K. Rowling and Eoin Colfer use colorful words and have main characters that are powerful and intelligent.

I would recommend this book to a young teen that is looking for a book filled with action and fantasy. This book will grab your attention right from the start and you will find it difficult to put it down. The twisted storyline creates a great deal of excitement near the end. Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox also teaches you to never give up even if you have to overcome many obstacles. I would give this book a rating of four stars.