The review on the hunger games | Teen Ink

The review on the hunger games

November 21, 2019
By mveasey BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
mveasey BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The book The Hunger Games was written by Suzanne Collins in 2008. It was written as a fictional book but with real-life scenarios. Throughout the story there were multiple themes, some of them were survival, Romance, and family. 

The Hunger Games is about the Capital who has complete control over everyone and has an event every year where they pick from a lottery from each of the districts. If their name gets picked they will have to go to battle until one person is left, This was named The Hunger Games. During the lottery, a sister of a young girl named Katniss gets picked to play in The Hunger Games. When her sister Primrose gets picked for it, Katniss volunteers as tribute. After volunteering herself, she and a guy named Peeta and other kids from the districts to do interviews and get ready for the games. Peeta and Katniss eventually become close and decide to work together. After finishing all of them, they enter the arena and start The Hunger Games until one of them is left. 

At the beginning of the story, the author Suzanne explained the setting of the story. The story takes place in Panem, North America. There are 12 districts that are ruled by the Capital. Some people who live in the 12 districts are really poor and die of starvation and other things Whereas the Capital is rich and doesn’t have any problems with there lifestyle. The setting to the story is similar to the real world because there are places like Panem who are really poor and have a hard time making money and getting food leading to sickness and starvation. It’s also similar to the real world because in the story the poor and the rich are separated and the rich are usually in charge. Things like these also happen to people all around. The author Collins creates a storyline where things happen in real life so the readers can get a better understanding of the story. Because of the readers getting a better understanding of the story and its setting it creates a picture in the reader’s head, Collins definitely did that to her story.

During The Hunger Games there were two main characters that stuck out throughout the story. The two that stuck out were Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark. These two stuck out to me because the author made the two characters seem like real live people because of how they behaved and the emotions the two have. Those two characters I liked very much, they gave the story so much more emphasis because of how the two made it seem like it was happening to the reader. This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed the book and how it made it not boring to read. In the book, Katniss was an introvert but she was also a clever thinker who was resourceful at times. Even if something was hard she wouldn't give up, “ At some point, you have to stop running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead”. On the other hand, Peeta was a charming young boy who was appealing to whoever laid their eyes on him. One example of his personality is when he got picked by the lottery he enjoyed getting the attention of the crowd. In addition on why I like this book is because the readers can relate with the readers, I think that I can relate to Katniss a little bit because she was a little bit of an introvert and I'm the one too which makes me have a hard time talking to people and in the book she usually liked to stay by herself. Other teenagers can probably relate to one or the other because some people are introverts like me and Katniss, and there are some people who are charming and don’t have a hard time like Peeta. 

Throughout the whole book it was interesting and entertaining. It kept the readers on the edge of their seats when reading the book. Like I previously mentioned there are many political issues, another political issue that was in the book is where the Capital oppressed the people in the districts so where the people who were in the poor district couldn’t do anything so the Capital could stay rich and powerful. The book didn’t really affect me but it gave me a better understanding of some of the political issues that were mentioned and were used as an example. I think everyone can relate to this book just a little bit. I know I can relate to some of the characters and how they act. 

Overall the book was a good one and was entertaining throughout the whole story. It had a really great storyline with a good setting with amazing characters. For the people that want to read the hunger games, I do recommend it. I think the type of people that would like this book are the type of people who enjoy romance, action, and things that keep you wanting to read more and more of it.