A Letter to J.D. Salinger | Teen Ink

A Letter to J.D. Salinger

By vivienpoche BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
vivienpoche BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

Dear Mr. Salinger,
I would like to thank you for writing The Catcher in the Rye, a book that has the potential to touch people of all ages. In the novel, Holden wants to “catch” children when he believes they are in danger. Towards the end of the novel, Mr. Antolini becomes a “Catcher” for Holden when he gives him beneficial advice and offers him a place to stay for the time being. As a senior in high school, I believe that my age group still needs a “Catcher,” someone who will guide us in the right direction, as we make new friends, experience moments of depression, and try our best to decide what we wish to do with our futures.

Holden made new friends every time he went to a different school; however, he struggled to keep them because he constantly noticed the worst in people and focused on their negative features. Holden says that his friend Ackley “damn near made you sick if you saw him in the dining room” (Salinger 23) and his friend Stradlater was “too conceited” (Salinger 39). I, too, struggle with being pessimistic, and I never viewed it as a problem until I read this novel. Constantly harping on the flaws of those around me will destroy bonds and friendships with others. Having a “Catcher” would allow a young and impressionable person to learn. In this sense, I feel as though Holden’s character was a “Catcher” for me because I learned that I need to work on my negative mindset before I unintentionally cut ties with loved ones.

Holden experienced many feelings of depression when he did not know what to do with his life. After leaving Mr. Antolini’s, wandering the streets alone, and sleeping on a park bench, he began to feel sad. As he thought of Jame’s Castle’s suicide and the possibility that leaving Mr. Antolini’s was a bad idea, he realized that “the more [he] thought about it, the more depressed and screwed up about it [he] got” (Salinger 215). Sometimes, I, too, feel lonely or hopeless at times when I am overwhelmed or upset due to stress caused by school or planning my future. Having “Catchers” to talk to when I am upset, such as my close friends and family, is beneficial to me, and I believe that Holden needed a “Catcher” in that moment as well.

Holden often wondered about his future and struggled with the thought of change and the reality of growing up. He considered moving west and living in a secluded area away from almost everyone. However, his plans for his future eventually changed when he realized his little sister, Phoebe, needed him home. Teenagers my age are thinking about their futures more than ever. Moving to an unfamiliar place place, living without my family, and the new sense of independence I will have to take on are all stressful and overwhelming tasks. Just as my school provides a college counselor to work as a “Catcher” in our lives, Holden needed a “Catcher” to help him plot out his future.

Many high school students would benefit greatly from having someone who could “catch” them and assist them with their friendships, their hardships, and their future plans. In the second to last chapter of the novel, Holden considered Mr. Antolini’s words and actions. He started to think about the nice things Mr. Antolini did for him when he needed help, such as offering him advice and a place to stay, and he remembered how Mr. Antolini was the only person who wanted to help James Castle, the boy who committed suicide. Holden began to understand the advice that Mr. Antolini had given him. This letter has made me feel grateful for all of the “Catchers” that I have in my life helping me, just as Mr. Antolini did for Holden.

Thank you for allowing me to have a greater appreciation of my friends, family, and teachers who assist and “catch” me in my everyday life.

Sincerely,
Vivien

My personal thoughts and opinions on the novel The Catcher in the Rye.