Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

By krazykristen521 GOLD, Scottsville, Kentucky
krazykristen521 GOLD, Scottsville, Kentucky

A typical young adult romance novel. Girl meets boy. Boy turns out to be a monster. Girl falls in love with monster. Girl + Monster = A Forever love, typical story but it was to fast paced and not fulfilling.

The main mortal is named Bella. “I realized there were tears in my eyes. I dabbed at them, embarrassed.” Unfortunately, this mortal girl seems to get embarrassed a lot. In almost every chapter she is falling down, almost dying, fainting, or crying and none of it was the blood sucking monsters fault. Maybe if Bella stayed in Arizona she wouldn't have had such bad luck.

Then there is the blood sucker hero; Edward Cullen. He is nice, caring, loving, innocent, pure, goody-two-shoes, talented, perfect, and a flawless vampire. It is easy to fall in love with this fictional monster. No wonder girls scream when they see a silver Volvo drive past them. Stephenie Myer made Edward to perfect. She also shattered the hearts of millions, when the fan girls realized no human guy can ever compare to him. We're screwed.

How does Edward compare to other vampires? Well, in Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat, we met a dark dangerous, daring, leather wearing, rock star. We kept asking, what would Lestat do next? In Twilight we know what Edward will do next, he will (like always) save the continuously clumsy girl that is always in danger. Personally, I chose daring over typical, rock over classic, and leather over baseball uniforms.

In the beginning Edward goes from wanting to suck Bella dry to, “I love you more than everything else in the world combined.” How sweet, heart touching, and a bit overwhelming seeing as how they only met months ago? I mean he also keeps tabs on people around Bella, when he isn't near her. He fights every battle for her, he even repeatedly asks “What are you thinking?” maybe its love or maybe its possession.

Stephenie Myer claims she got this story idea from a dream. If she is having dreams about this, than she hasn't read a J.R. Ward book. I highly suggest it.

Twilight was like a no ending roller coaster ride. During many parts of the book I was screaming, SLOW DOWN SO I CAN ENJOY THIS SCENE A LITTLE LONGER! Unfortunately, I was popped into the next scene against my own will. How devastating. I must say, at times I was rather disappointed. I needed more from the scenes but I was left empty handed.

This book will leave you wanting more. It will be like a continuous thirst that cant be satisfied. Though this book is a good snack, it wont leave you full.

This was one of the funniest pieces i ever wrote.

Sam[heh] said...
jeez Kristen :] i love when you write negative book reviews. i enjoy it even more due to the fact that i get to watch you write it sometimes. god i love being your friend ^^

on Aug. 22 2009 at 3:47 am
musicliteraturelove PLATINUM, Clifton Park, New York

any Bright Eyes lyric is my favorite personal quote.

im completly in love with the series but i can definitely see your point. twilight does have its flaws. it is a little cliche and does move too fast in some part. overall i thought it was an amazing story but you gave it an honest review and said what you truly thought. i admire that. good job.

ComebackCadillac SILVER, Fredericksburg, Virginia
I hate Twilight. I love how you supported everything, and you sounded like me - telling the book to slow down. Edward and Bella seem to be a very cliche, human-monster couple. It's just not original.

KatAnne SILVER said...
KatAnne SILVER, Meadville, Pennsylvania

http://teenink.com/fiction/realistic_fiction/article/128063/Sweet-Sixteen/
http://teenink.com/fiction/romance/article/129766/It-Just-Happened/
http://teenink.com/fiction/romance/article/162872/Forbidden-Love-and-Great-Adventure-Part-One

I personally feel that Edward is not too perfect. If he was perfect he wouldn't feel the overwhelming pain of not letting himself be able to be with Bella. I think that that is his major character flaw, he can't let himself be happy. But the book did go very fast and it was hard to fully appreciate the amazing scenes that did breeze by.

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

Although I don't agree with you on all the points, it was a well written review. You gave good evidence to support your ideas, and this piece was very enjoyable. I totally agree with you when you say, "She also shattered the hearts of millions, when the fan girls realized no human guy can ever compare to him. We’re screwed," and "Personally, I chose daring over typical, rock over classic, and leather over baseball uniforms." Nicely done!

YogaGirl SILVER, Williamstown, New York

"I can clearly see you're the daughter of a mother's aunt's grand-mother's uncle's father's grandaughter's daughter."~~~ "Wouldn't that make me a poptart?!"

YO! His-Bright-Green-Eyes! Chill with the critisism! The author has a good point, and I'm OBSESSED with Twilight! Stephanie Meyer writes pretty good, you want to read it, but when it's over it seems, well, over. Like there should have been more. It's becasue we were all waiting for something that never was there. People should be satisfied with a book series (mostly) by the end. I found I was finding holes in the whole thing. But I think it was a good opinion, and I don't see why it shouldn't have been posted. As many people have said, she's entitled to her opinion! Considering it's a REVIEW. Meaning her own OPINION on the book. Not manyu people think alike and you shouldn't get angry over something so silly!

Yes i have read all of the books. I read twilight before its was the "cool thing" I read the book when it was first released. I own all of the books, a bag, necklaces, bracelets, and shirts. But this review is strictly over Twilight the first book. I didn't even think about the movie while i was writing this. This is a negative review over it and yes you have your opinions over it, here in American, I too am allowed to post what i think. So yes this Book Review was posted, so accept it.

LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

Have you people even READ the books? Twilight is a very good and touching story. I dont really think that this should've been posted because it seems like everywhere i go i see something like this! I bet you've only seen the movie and read maybe the first hundred pages. You really think this is funny? I think this is aggrivating.

Gabriela BRONZE, São Paulo, Other
You really made me think. I never really enjoyed twilight, but now I'm sure i don't.

My opinion? The first book is a basic romance, the only difference, is that there are vampires.

Then the story goes on, at the second book, Edward goes a way, and 75% of the book, is Bella's sorrow.

At the third book, I'm sure Stephenie ran out of topics, because she went back to book one, using the same characters.

And finally, book 4. Resuming it, Stephenie went against science, and in a miraculous way, Bella got pregnant, she is killed by her baby, but Edward is faster, transforming her into a vampire before she was completely dead.

To conclude, something that i missed in the story, is the realism. If vampires don't have blood, how does their brain work? How they have tellings? And finally, how can Bella get pregnant from something(not someone) that didn't had organs working?

If you read all i typed, you noticed how i love twilight ^^