Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

April 24, 2009
By krazykristen521 GOLD, Scottsville, Kentucky
krazykristen521 GOLD, Scottsville, Kentucky
16 articles 0 photos 4 comments

A typical young adult romance novel. Girl meets boy. Boy turns out to be a monster. Girl falls in love with monster. Girl + Monster = A Forever love, typical story but it was to fast paced and not fulfilling.

The main mortal is named Bella. “I realized there were tears in my eyes. I dabbed at them, embarrassed.” Unfortunately, this mortal girl seems to get embarrassed a lot. In almost every chapter she is falling down, almost dying, fainting, or crying and none of it was the blood sucking monsters fault. Maybe if Bella stayed in Arizona she wouldn't have had such bad luck.

Then there is the blood sucker hero; Edward Cullen. He is nice, caring, loving, innocent, pure, goody-two-shoes, talented, perfect, and a flawless vampire. It is easy to fall in love with this fictional monster. No wonder girls scream when they see a silver Volvo drive past them. Stephenie Myer made Edward to perfect. She also shattered the hearts of millions, when the fan girls realized no human guy can ever compare to him. We're screwed.

How does Edward compare to other vampires? Well, in Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat, we met a dark dangerous, daring, leather wearing, rock star. We kept asking, what would Lestat do next? In Twilight we know what Edward will do next, he will (like always) save the continuously clumsy girl that is always in danger. Personally, I chose daring over typical, rock over classic, and leather over baseball uniforms.

In the beginning Edward goes from wanting to suck Bella dry to, “I love you more than everything else in the world combined.” How sweet, heart touching, and a bit overwhelming seeing as how they only met months ago? I mean he also keeps tabs on people around Bella, when he isn't near her. He fights every battle for her, he even repeatedly asks “What are you thinking?” maybe its love or maybe its possession.

Stephenie Myer claims she got this story idea from a dream. If she is having dreams about this, than she hasn't read a J.R. Ward book. I highly suggest it.

Twilight was like a no ending roller coaster ride. During many parts of the book I was screaming, SLOW DOWN SO I CAN ENJOY THIS SCENE A LITTLE LONGER! Unfortunately, I was popped into the next scene against my own will. How devastating. I must say, at times I was rather disappointed. I needed more from the scenes but I was left empty handed.

This book will leave you wanting more. It will be like a continuous thirst that cant be satisfied. Though this book is a good snack, it wont leave you full.


The author's comments:
This was one of the funniest pieces i ever wrote.