Lord of the Flies review | Teen Ink

Lord of the Flies review

By etow21 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
etow21 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

to be or not to be

Lord of the Flies

Have you ever wonder what it would be like to be on an island with a bunch of boys?

What would it be like to have a twelve year old as your leader, would you be scared?

In William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, leadership changes because of fear.

Ralph knows what's good for the group. For example on page 39 chapter 2 Ralph says “There's another thing. We can help them to find us. If a ship comes in they may no not notice us. So we must make smoke on top of the mountain. We must make a fire.” Ralph knows that makinging a fire could save the boys from the island and the boys start chanting “make a fire” showing us that Ralph is a good leader and that he knows what he is doing. But later on in the book the boys in ralph's group slowly start leaving him for jack hunting tribe.

Jack and Ralph were on the same page in the beginning of the book. They liked each other, they work with each other as a group but as you know their friendship ended towards the middle of the book when jack left Ralph's group. When jack left the group he came back on page 140 and said

“listen, all of you. Me and my hunters, we're living along the beach by a flat rock we hunt and feast and fun. If you want to join my tribe come and see us. Perhaps i’ll let you join, perhaps not.” Jack said that to try to make the rest of the boys from Ralph's group to join his group and he let them know that they will feast and that they will have lots of fun. Jack uses the beast as a way to strike fear in the the boys and he says “kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!” in chapter 9 page 152.

Jack and Ralph are the leaders in this story. In the first chapter they choose Ralph by voting for him. In the middle of the book they choose Jack a their leader because he promised food and the death of the beast.

I worked hard on this.