Eragon | Teen Ink

Eragon

By Samantha Hill BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
Samantha Hill BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

Eragon is the first in a series of four that tells the story of young Eragon. Raised in a small, rural town by his uncle, Eragon lives the very ordinary life of a farmer until the day he goes hunting in The Spine, forests that were said to be haunted, and finds a polished blue stone in its midst. Not long after acquiring the stone, it hatches into a female dragon that Eragon names Saphira. Horrendous creatures after Saphira then murder his uncle, Garrow, forcing Eragon to flee with the wise storyteller, Brom. They set off on a long journey with Brom teaching Eragon how to be a proper Dragon Rider. Along the way, they rescue a beautiful elf, run into a nasty Shade, deal with the death of friends, fight wars, and meet mysterious friends.
Eragon delivers a heady mix of fantasy with just the right amount of action. It will have you cheering for the heroes and booing the bad guys. So not only will you be looking for other books by the author, but you’ll be asking, “are they going to make a movie?” Christopher Paolini’s books definitely leave you longing for more.