Twilight

This is not your average rave about "Twilight". In fact, I hated the book. Nearly everyone I know has read and absolutely loves the series, but I couldn’t even finish the first book!

Bella is a whiny, self-centered character who thinks she is the best. She feels sorry for herself every chance she gets, and she always relies on someone else to fix her problems. She always has something to complain about, and she can never deal with her own life. She is just plain annoying.

Edward is depicted as a hero, and he is always the one who conveniently shows up to save Bella from some new danger. Meyer’s description of him is not only sexist, as was mentioned by Catherine Stafford of New Paltz, NY, in the April 2009 issue, but she continually uses the same verbs to describe him. How many times can you say that he “chuckled”? It really gets old after a while, as does the ongoing description of his “perfect beauty”. Find some new words, Meyer.

Furthermore, this book has no plot. I managed (painstakingly, might I add) to get through the first 300 or so pages. In this time, all that happens is that Bella meets Edward and thinks she is in love with him. If it takes 300+ pages to get to the action, then I say don’t waste your time reading it. Meyer is obviously not a strong writer if she can’t write about anything interesting in the first twenty pages, let alone dragging out the nothingness for 300.

I believe that one reason that Meyer’s books are so widely-read is because she attended Brigham Young University, a Mormon college. Kids and teens whose parents would normally forbid a book about vampires have allowed their kids to read the Twilight series. Twilight was published in 2005, and didn’t becoming supremely popular until it was learned that her alma mater was a religious university. This is discriminatory in my eyes, simply because there are so many truly good books out there that teens aren’t allowed to read because the author isn’t a graduate of a certain institution. The collective interest in this book worries me because of the mob mentality that it inspires. The citizens of America shouldn’t be so influenced by one book.

MelindaKai said...
This is pure gold. I, too, couldn't get through the first book. I'm pretty sure my ACT lowered when reading this so-called literature.

lemonmango said...
I used to be an extreme Twilight Saga lover, but I've read lots of reviews like this one and...they really made me realize what Twilight truly was! You are SO right about everything you wrote. Keep it up!

Bookloverx said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 10:10 am
I'll havee the books then:L I lovee twilight x

writing_chicka_4 said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 11:49 am
YOU. ROCK!
No, seriously, you're a very good writer and are one of the few people that have a brain on this website! Twilight is completely... just so... STUPID! I wrote a review (you can read it if you want ), and it's slightly differant than yours, but I completely agree with you. Keep writing!

WritingRocks said...
First of all, the book does have a plot. Its a ROMANCE NOVEL!!! The action in the other books and at the end is more a test of their relationship then anything else.
Secondly, Bella is not whiny. She cares about everyone else. And as for Edward always saving her, duh, they are in love, she's a klutz, he's a vampire with MINDREADING powers(to know if she's in trouble) what do you expect.
Oh I love you, i'll just let you get mugged in the street.
These books are A... (more »)

unearthlyhaphazard said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 12:36 am
Let me just say this before I move on: I do really love Twilight and Harry Potter. Anyway, I respect your opinion, but I think you have the wrong idea on Bella. She's not whiny, and she really doesn't feel sorry for herself. She wants to fix the lives of other people, not her own! The Edward part I do agree. It's very "damsel in distress" and "knight in shining armor" like. So, maybe she should have Bella saving herself, and maybe you're right about the words deal, but I don't agr... (more »)

tim B. said...
Lizzy12, the reason we don't particularly enjoy the "simple beginning" is because it is, just to simple. It doesn't really evoke any emotion whatsoever, and Meyer just throws into the middle of some boring plot, expecting you to follow it like a donkey with a stick on its back with a carrot on the end. The plot is so simple, that only people who have never read before can comprehend whats happening, and it doesn't even get more complex as the book progresses, in fact, critics have rated... (more »)

tim B. said...
btw katiemilady, the critics say that twilight-breaking dawn is a 4.6 grade level. and stephen king is one of the best wriers and he admitted his distaste for the books, and to answer your other question, all of them are prepubescent. so you also need to read my review, k? and lily, pls send me a friend request on yahoo.com, but I'm on a school computer now so itll be a while for me to accept because my internets cancelled. just say 'hey im the person you asked if i would marry you' or ... (more »)

tim B. said...

tim B. said...
will you marry me?

Sally P. said...
I agree with twilightnme i love this movie

writer.on.the.loose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 18, 2009 at 12:06 am
I admit that I was a huge Twilight fan, but lately it hasn't really appealed to me. It is sexist and I think people are too blinded by the perfection to see that it's repetitive and way to perfect. I do, however, have a soft spot for Jacob Black because he's one of the only characters who is at least moderately realistic and he's really hot. Anyway, people need to start realizing that it's like a chocolate candy with a carmel center dipped in malt, with sprinkles, fudge, brownie, ... (more »)

Twilightnme said...
May 14, 2009 at 12:40 am
I think that twilight is the best. I don't care if you feel that way, but I wanted to say that I love it, and I can't stand the way this story is so damagely written...

katiemiladie said...
May 13, 2009 at 12:38 am
I agree with Lizzy in most ways. Reviews are meant for personal oppinon and I salute you for putting your own personal thoughts on the line but, I only have one single question. If Meyer's books are so poorly written, are sexist, and are boring, why are they so highly regaurded by millions of people and thousands of the greatest writers and critics in the world? Good luck answering that one.

Butterfly12 replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 8:08 am

You want to know why so many people all over the world love Twilight, katiemiladie?

Because they haven't read anything better, or are simply not intelligent enough to comprehend the greatness of a truly good book.  Twilight is a book that appeals to the masses of brainless people out there, hence why it is so loved.

Lizzy12 said...
May 12, 2009 at 12:43 am
Your review is well written and thought out however i completely disagree. I am Mormon and I love fantasy we are encouraged to learn and discover in fact the Mormon book store in my town sells many fiction pieces including Eragon and Harry Potter.
Bella is not selfish. She moves to her fathers house so her mother and Phil her step father can live and travel. Self centered, Bella Swan ? I think not. If you did not understand the simple beginning then you obviously did not see the deep fee... (more »)