A Time of Darkness | Teen Ink

A Time of Darkness

By Emma04 BRONZE, San Ramon, California
Emma04 BRONZE, San Ramon, California

“They took me in my nightgown...We did not escape. We were taken.”

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys is a heartbreaking, coming-of-age novel. Sepetys highlights the horrifying tale of Lithuanian capture during World World Ⅱ, an event that is not widely known to the public as the true nightmare it turned out it to be.

What makes this book so captivating is the actual background of the novel. Ruta Sepetys is the daughter of Lithuanian emigres. The book was inspired by Sepetys’ father, a refugee who escaped Lithuania as a young boy. In her debut novel, Sepetys tells the story of the Baltic States that disappeared from the world map in 1941. She gives a voice to the Lithuanian experience during World War Ⅱ.

During 1941, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia were controlled by the Soviet Union and subject to Stalin’s rule. The main character, Lina, is only fifteen years old when she and her family are captured by Soviet secret police, separated from her father, and forced into crowded cattle cars. Lina, along with her mother and brother, Jonas, are deported north to Siberia. There, they are forced into a labor camp where they must fight for their lives under harsh conditions.

Lina is ripped from everything she knows. She uses her art to hold onto her sanity and to find herself in a time of darkness. Lina, a talented artist, documents her experiences in drawings that include clues of her location, in hopes that they will make their way to her father. While doing this, Lina learns lessons of strength, love, and survival, while struggling to maintain her faith in humanity.

The point of view that Sepetys pursues is very strong. The first person point of view contributes to the character development. As readers, it’s so important that we are able to understand Lina on a deeper, more personal level. Seeing these real life events through the eyes of fifteen-year-old Lina makes the story so authentic. She is relatable and strong from the very beginning. We’re able to witness her character mature and become the glue that holds her family together, as they continue through this harrowing journey.  

Sepetys’ writing style makes the Between Shades of Gray a unique read. Her writing is cut to the bone. Sepetys uses direct and precise words that convey powerful meanings. When it comes to building suspense throughout the plot, she keeps her sentences sharp. This intensifies the story line and makes for an instant page turner. Overall this makes the book a brisk, but compelling read that will be sure to leave a lasting effect on readers.

Sepetys informs readers of a time of darkness in our history, while at the same time producing deeply loveable and relatable characters. She balances the two aspects perfectly. Because of this, I rated this book a ten out of ten. I would recommend Between Shades of Grey to any fan of realistic or historical fiction. I think that anyone who’s interested in learning about the hidden truths in history will love this groundbreaking novel.