Hey, Kiddo | Teen Ink

Hey, Kiddo MAG

By jennys1 BRONZE, Newtonville, Massachusetts
jennys1 BRONZE, Newtonville, Massachusetts

I don’t normally read graphic novels, but I was interested in reading Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka because it is a memoir of the author’s life as a teen.

Krosoczka grew up in Massachusetts and was raised by his grandparents. He had no idea who his father was, and his mother struggled with addiction and could not take care of him. Even though Jarrett felt different because he didn’t have a normal home life, art helped him get through hard times. He loved to draw from an early age and wanted to write comics when he grew up. His grandparents encouraged his passion, and Jarrett in deed grew up to be a published author of numerous children's books and graphic novels.

Hey, Kiddo  is very honest, and I liked that. Jarrett doesn't hide his many emotions about his parents, and he writes in a way that teens can relate to. He does a great job connecting his search for his father with his search for his own identity. I could relate to trying to figure out who you are, what you’re passionate about, and how to pursue your dreams. The book also explores heavy themes like alcoholism, drug abuse, and heartbreak.

The book’s illustrations tell the story as much as the words do. The colors used are often dark, symbolizing the sadness and anger Jarrett felt growing up. The emotions are easy to read on the characters’ faces as well. The illustrations show a lot of motion. The characters seem to travel in front of your eyes from one page to the next. It makes you turn the pages to keep up with them.

I recommend Hey, Kiddo to teens who like memoirs, graphic novels, or stories about overcoming struggles. This is also a great book for teens who use art or a hobby to get through the ups and downs of life. Hey, Kiddo  teaches teens a great lesson – to reach for your dreams and not let anything or anyone get in your way.