A Long Walk to Water | Teen Ink

A Long Walk to Water

October 2, 2018
By Anonymous

Imagine hearing gun shots that change your life forever. Gun shots that rips you away from your home, family, and you can never return home. Salva in the book, A Long Walk to Water, experienced this and overcomes many hardships on his journey. Living in a first world country we take so much for granted, Salva used his advantages for the best of others. Salva’s stories and character transformed my view on many experiences in my life, like when Salva’s Uncle dies, and he’s reunited with his family, and when Salva builds clean water wells in Sudan.

 In the book Salva, his tribe, and his uncle must cross the Akobo Desert for 3 days. On the Journey, they cross paths with soldiers who steal their food, supplies, and clothes. But they don’t stop there and proceeds to murder Salva’s uncle in front of him. Salva was devastated but knew his uncle would want him to step up for the tribe and keep going. In my life, my best friend died when I was eight from cancer. She was like a mom to me, and I was devastated. But, I was forced to move on because my parents decided to move to Georgia. Salva used this tragedy as strength to keep going and become a leader. From reading this book I gained insight that instead of using that burden to be sorry for myself, I should use it to motivate me and use it as my wings.           

More than 7 years later, when Salva is in his mid-twenties, he gets the opportunity to live with a family in New York. In 2003, Salva is about to start college when he gets an email from his cousin that he’s never met before. The email states that his father is alive and is in a Sudan Hospital. He goes to visit him and learns that his mother and sisters are alive also. Salva is overjoyed an is greatly impacted. When Salva thought there was no hope for ever seeing his family again, he gets hope and purpose. I’ve had times in my life when I thought things weren’t going to get better, but my family helps me through it. This book changed my way of thinking, in that I have a great family. I should be thankful that I have a family. In such a rich area sometimes, I forget all the many people and family I have.

           

Salva travels back to America after being reunited with his family. He uses his advantages to help suffering people in Sudan. Salva works with an organization to build clean water wells in Sudan. Nya was the second character in the book who had to walk eight hours to get dirty water. Salva built a well in her village, and they end up meeting. Salva has impacted me to notice the people who need help in this country and out of this country. Volunteering to help love the homeless are easy things I can do to help impact and change others’ lives.

 Salva faced many hardships and challenges in his life. Salva is a great role model. Salva taught me to use my hardships as motivation, to realize the blessings I already have around me, and to help and love others. I have taken so much for granted in my life, in a first world country it’s so easy to get lost in our own lives. Salva is a great role model to have. Salva had such an abundant life. He stepped up when his tribe needed him the most. Salva never gave up and didn’t take anything for granted. Salva had more to offer than what the world offers us.