The House on Mango Street: Book Review | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street: Book Review

July 19, 2018
By tchamberlin BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California
tchamberlin BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a charming novel about an adolescent Mexican girl named Esperanza. It explores different aspects of what it's like to be welcomed into the world of woman hood. Like sexuality, body changes, mental changes, the feelings of being judged and along all this being a feminist. It is worth reading in my opinion, because of all this.


Esperanza moves around a lot. The house on mango street, is different it represents her upcoming release into the world of being a woman an a feminist. The house is crumbling and old, and there live Esperanza, Nenny (her little sister) and their parents. As she lives there Esperanza meets her neighbors and makes friends all over the place. With every friend she learns something about real life. Like poverty, greed and men driven by sexual things. While her female companions want boys and to be a good little housewife, Esperanza doesn't. Esperanza wants to own a house with a garden on a hill, a house of her own and never forgetting who she is, letting bums live in her attic. I didn't dislike anything in the book really, but I love Esperanza's will for independence and enjoying the small moments of life.


All in all, I being a "hippie type" who loves feminist beliefs recommend you to read The House on Mango Street. Where the book is full of symbols of womanhood and independence. Strong will and the sadness of growing up and realizing what the world is like are recurring themes. If you like the idea of a feminist world or even if you don't I suggest you read this.