If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Reviewed by Haley Maynard | Teen Ink

If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Reviewed by Haley Maynard

By Haley.maynard BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
Haley.maynard BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

To live or to die? Mia is in a situation where she has to decide whether she wants to live or she wants to die. She has limited family left and a boyfriend who would do anything to keep her in this world with him. There’s no school and they’re on their way to their grandparents, when the most unimaginable thing could have happened. An accident that risks the entire families lives. Her brother, Teddy, her mom and her dad. Mia and Adam share a bond of loving music. Their lives revolve around music. She plays the cello while Adam plays guitar and has his own band with his friends.

There are many flashbacks from when she was in the hospital to before the accident ever happened which helps you imagine what’s actually going on. Gayle Forman has a unique writing style throughout this book. She uses many similes including the the flashbacks from Mia’s point of view. I enjoy Forman’s writing more than any other author. She definitely has a way of keeping you interested and hooked on what’s about to happen next and makes you wonder, why?

There is a sequel to this book called “Where I Went” that I have not yet read but will definitely read when I have the chance. If you enjoyed this book, than I would recommend reading “Everything, Everything”, by Nicola Yoon and also “The Fault In Our Stars”, by John Green. These are all young adult fiction books that are fun to read.