Most Recent Reviews

Here are the most recent reviews:

Know-It-All (Deluxe) by Alessia Cara This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Alessia Cara immediately emerged as one of the year’s notable new artists with her shocking single, “Here.” For a first single, it’s not what you might expect. Slinging together verses to a slinky beat, Cara writes as the impossibly cool... (more »)
Subsection: Music Reviews
Badlands by Halsey This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
The smart-mouthed punk rocker had already triumphed two EPs when she came to the public’s eye in 2015. Singing alongside Justin Bieber on tour, the “New Americana” singer proved plenty able to hold her own. And on Badlands, her first full... (more »)
Scorpion
The “worst day of the week” debate has conceivably existed as long as the modern calendar. Or at least as long as the modern teenager. In my experience, most of us seem to agree on either Monday or Tuesday as the most unpleasant. As... (more »)
Subsection: TV Show Reviews
The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia,...
High King Peter of Narnia rule the land fair, along with his brother, King Edmund, and sisters: Queen Susan and Queen Lucy. The people called it the Golden Age, of how yes, there were wars, but ones that Narnia’s won, who were led by Peter... (more »)
Night by Elie Wisel
“‘I have more faith in Hitler than in anyone else. He alone has kept his promises, all his promises, to the Jewish people.’ “(page 81) In this quote from the book Night, by Elie Wiesel, the victims of the Holocaust are depicted as... (more »)
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
From the moment I read the first word till I read the last word, I was enraptured in All the Light We Cannot See. This may seem very surprising. After all, the book is written like an epic instead of a novel. Many, including I, suspected that it... (more »)
Subsection: Book Reviews
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut is not a comfortable book. It is not extremely optimistic, clean, or uplifting. It is, however, real. Despite the fact that the book is filled with... (more »)
Subsection: Book Reviews
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Pure genie-us! Indi games are weird. There's no denying this fact when you have titles that allow you to take control of a knight that wields a shovel in order to defeat evil forces and a genderless character that falls into a land of... (more »)
Subsection: Video Game Reviews
Be a Better Writer by Steve Peha This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Growing up with a love of writing, I lifted all my tricks from the books I read. All the big vocabulary words and the clever turns of phrase I copied from Lemony Snicket; I tried to mimic Madeleine L’Engle’s world-building and Sharon... (more »)
Subsection: Book Reviews
The Phantom of the Opera: A Broadway Review...
Heavily regarded as the most iconic show on the Great White Way, Broadway staple The Phantom of the Opera was absolutely phenomenal. The classic operetta showed at the Majestic Theatre at 8:00 PM on December 29th, 2014. The female protagonist... (more »)
Human Again by Ingrid Michaelson
After a slew of successful folk albums, Michaelson returned in 2012 with Human Again. Featuring the same warm voice, the album takes a different route; we can practically feel Michaelson’s soul set on fire. From declarations of war to calls to... (more »)
Be Ok by Ingrid Michaelson
Ingrid Michaelson’s Be Ok is like a floury confection: charming, darling, and very sweet. Her little voice has surprising power and beauty, as it shapes itself into the all of the memorable jewels of the album. One such song is “Be Ok,”... (more »)
Subsection: Music Reviews
Night Visions by Imagine Dragons This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.
Like the title suggests, Night Visions by Imagine Dragons is a series of songs created at night. From prowling nighttime ballads, uncertain dusk, to the crisp rise of day, that progression is continued from the band’s Continued Silence EP. It... (more »)
Holy Ghost by Modern Baseball
If you’ve been a fan of Modern Baseball since the Sports EP, you know the band is quite fond of writing about high school stories and girls with hoodies, the kind of lyrics you’d get tattooed on your 16-year-old self. Contrary to popular... (more »)
Continued Silence EP by Imagine Dragons
The booming, detonating lead track, “Radioactive,” comes to represent everything from Imagine Dragons’ Continued Silence EP. Released in 2012 after a string of earlier works, the EP carves into the soul with a heavy rock attitude, and like... (more »)
Finding Dory
At last, thirteen years after the release of the endearing Disney film, “Finding Nemo”, in 2003, the inevitable sequel, “Finding Dory”, has finally arrived, drawing crowds from both the younger and older age groups into... (more »)
Subsection: Movie Reviews