Oklahoma vs Rhode Island Round 1 | Teen Ink

Oklahoma vs Rhode Island Round 1

By MTP4. BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey
MTP4. BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey

From the tip off of the March Madness, all viewers knew this March would be unlike any other March they had ever seen. Rhode Island, a 7 seed, faced off against 10 seed Oklahoma lead by star Freshman point guard Trae Young in Pittsburgh at PPG Paints Arena. Oklahoma jumped ahead early and grabbed the momentum of the game with a 3 pointer from Young. The Sooners dominated the first half of the game and the Rams went to the locker room down by five with Oklahoma playing great basketball. In the second half, the Rhode Island Rams came out with a quick start taking the lead back for the first time since early in the first half. The rest of the second half, both the Sooners and the Rams were trading baskets keeping the game close all the way to the finish. EC Matthews and Cyril Lavengine were bringing the Rams offense and defense to life again with attacks at the basket and great defense on the other end. The Rams and Sooners traded baskets and stops to keep the game close. It was a tied game with one minute left to play, EC Matthews of Rhode Island drove hard to the rim and put up a shot off the glass that went in as he got fouled. The Rams were up by two points after Matthews missed the free throw for the three point play opportunity. Trae Young brought the ball up for Oklahoma with twenty seconds left. Young drove hard and got fouled and he went to the free throw line and went 2/2 tying the game with ten seconds left. Rhode Island had a chance to win the game as time expired, but the game winning layup attempt rolled off of the rim sending the game into overtime. In OT baskets were traded again. Oklahoma had the lead by 1 point with about 50 seconds left. That was when Cyril Langevine decided to put the fate of the game in his own hands by hitting a stepback three pointer to give Rhode Island the lead by 2. Oklahoma rushed 3 point shots for the win and the Rams of Rhode Island won the game by a score of 83-78 after making a few free throws towards the end of the game.

March Madness