Review for the iPhone X | Teen Ink

Review for the iPhone X

By sreiff@wnk8.com BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
sreiff@wnk8.com BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Intro
The iPhone X is one of the biggest advances in technology for Apple. Costing $999 in the United States and £999 in the United Kingdom makes it clear that the iPhone X is very technologically advanced. There are many big changes in the new iPhone from the previous iPhones, including augmented reality, a 5.45 inch diagonal screen, and facial recognition that allows the owner to look at their iPhone to unlock it. Apple took away the Home Button to give it an edge to edge screen, making more screen space. Another one of the biggest changes is the new camera that has different lighting including the portrait light, contour light, studio light, and stage light. These new features of the iPhone X are definitely better than previous phones and make it worth the money.

How Apple’s iPhone turned into the iPhone X
The iPhone X has definitely evolved from its previous iPhones, coming with some of the newest and best technological features. It all began when Steve Jobs, one of the founders of Apple, unveiled the iPhone 1st generation on June 29th, 2007. It was one of the biggest advancements in technology. It had a 3.5-inch screen, and had 320x480 pixel resolution. The front camera, used for taking selfies and calling people on Skype or Facetime, was introduced in the iPhone 4. The screen had a 326 pixels per inch, had a 3.5 inch diagonal screen, and a 960x640 display. After the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4s came out. It was named the 4s, with the “s” most likely standing for ‘Siri’, a new virtual assistant that allows the owner to talk to their phone. The “s” in different phones like the 5s or 6s mean different changes in each phone. They are able to ask Siri questions like: “What’s the weather like today?” or “What time is it?”. Siri is useful when the user is driving, and is not able to look at their phone or type. Siri did not recognize voices or put restrictions on certain voices. Someone can tell Siri to do an action. For example; “Call so and so.” or “Text so and so.”.
Later followed the iPhone 5 and 5s, which were about the same as the iPhone 4 and 4s. The 5 had a chip that is almost twice as fast as the 4, but otherwise, they look the same, except for increase in height in the 5, giving it a bigger screen.
After the iPhone 5, came the iPhone 6, which added multiple improvements. Unlike the uncomfortable box shape of the iPhone 5 and 4, it was made with a smoother surface. It had 640 x 1136 pixels, and was taller than the iPhone 5 by 0.7 inches. One of the biggest improvements was the Touch ID home button, which inspired Face ID on the iPhone X. Touch ID scans a user’s fingerprint and stores it away in the phone’s memory. Much like “Face ID”, the iPhone 6, 7, and 8 scan the person’s finger, recognize it, and unlock the phone. Another one of the best improvements was Voice Activation, which recognizes voices, and responds to them. The user can say “Hey Siri” to the phone, without having to look at it or touch it. This is even better for drivers than previous Siri activated iPhone's, because the driver does not have to take the risk of taking their hand off the steering wheel while driving.
The iPhone 8 and 8+ are almost the same as the iPhone 7 and 7+, except that both iPhone 8’s have wireless charging, and they need glass on the rear so that the metal does not disrupt the wireless charging. The 8+ has the same camera features as the iPhone X. The 8+ has a dual camera, one for studio lighting, and the other for regular photos. The iPhone 8 is an overpriced iPhone 7 with a few different features.
Then, on November 3rd, 2017, the iPhone X was released. It was a big advancement for Apple, with new qualities, improved features from Apple’s past iPhones, and almost perfecting them. They added many new things, and took away things, but made it an overall comfortable, sleek, and satisfying phone, with a new look and design.

Why the features are worth the money
I think that the features of the iPhone X are helpful and fun, but some people may disagree with me. People think that the iPhone X is overpriced, but I think it is worth the money.
Apple uses the most durable glass that has ever been used on a smartphone, on the front and back. This glass makes the phone more comfortable so that if you have not purchased a case yet, the phone will be comfortable, but also very safe from cracking, even without a case. Another new revolutionary feature to the iPhone X is that it has wireless charging, which means that it can charge without plugging it in, and can rest on a wireless charging pad. It charges quicker than any other Apple iPhone. One of the best features is the quality of the cameras. On the back, there are two 12 megapixel cameras, and on there is a front camera that is more improved from the iPhone 7’s and has depth perception. Also on the front, there is a dot projector that projects tiny invisible dots onto a face, memorizes the pattern of the face, and stores the memory of the face, so that that person can unlock the phone by glancing at it. With the fastest chip in a smartphone ever, people can work more quickly with better quality.

Animojis
Facial Recognition can do other things than just using someone’s face as a password. One of the coolest and most fun features of the Apple iPhone X are called Animojis. Animojis are emojis that respond to facial movements using the Dot Projector. The dot projector recognizes 50 different muscle groups on a face, thus tracking certain motion on the face. Facial Recognition matches the facial motions on a face and puts the muscle movements onto a cartoon emoji face. There are 12 Animojis. A robot, alien, dog, cat, monkey, pig, fox, poop emoji, panda, chicken, rabbit, and unicorn. It maps the most unique facial expressions, and recognizes every face as a face, so Animojis work on anyone’s face. Animojis are used for texting people videos of the Animojis. Animojis appear with a white background, though it is able to record with the camera. This means that Animojis do not need to use a camera to record videos of Animojis in use. One of the bad things about facial recognition and Animojis is that it only recognizes a face from 10 to 20 inches away, even though a lot of people hold their phones farther away than that. There are things that can be improved, but it is an entertaining and joyful feature to use.

Conclusion
The iPhone X is indeed the beginning of a new future - a better future. A lot of people think that it is a waste of money and that they can live without it, but I truly believe that it is an amusing and useful piece of technology to use. I would recommend this device to people who are adventurous and willing to try new things and who also have the money. Otherwise, if you are not a person who is not really sure that they would want to spend money on an iPhone X, you do not have to buy it, but I would recommend at least going to the Apple Store or Best Buy and experimenting with the iPhone X on display.

Works cited

Inc., Apple. “IPhone X.”
“History of IPhone.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 24 Nov. 2017. Foundation, 24 Nov. 2017.
Stern, Joanna. “IPhone X Review: Yes, There Are Reasons to Pay Apple $1,000.” The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, 4 Nov. 2017.