My Greatest Hurdle

The writing titled “My Greatest Hurdle,” written by Matthew W., talks about a track runner’s struggle to beat his school’s record. His writing left me believing all goals can be reached. I can relate to his struggles. I have ran cross country for three years, and I know how frustrating it is when you can’t get the time you want. Every year, I start off the cross country season well. Within the first couple meets, I usually reach a new PR. Then I level off. I stay at around the same time, but I can’t beat my PR. Like Matthew, this frustrates me. He writes in his article, “So many of our big achievements happen in such narrow slips of time.” I totally agree with him. In the race I received a new PR, it felt like the race took forever. Then I was crossing the finish line, and I was looking at the time. I had gotten a new PR! Matthew also says, “...you train for hours upon hours to compete for a matter of seconds…” I agree with him on this also. In cross country, there is more distance running, but I still feel like we train a lot, maybe too much. That is why in order to run cross country, you must have faith. Just like in the real world, you need faith in order to succeed.